ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Importing Categories only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importing Categories only
    Posted: 29-September-2007 at 11:07pm
Hello
I read everything I could about importing products and no where did I find information about importing categories only.  I did read another post that importing categories was not possible, but the post was about a year old. 
So I was wondering if this were still the case - that I must hand enter all categories and subcategories, unless I create them during a product import, which I did see.  And under this scenario, I would need to go back and add meta information by hand.

Can anyone or EI confirm or deny this understanding?

Curt
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2007 at 12:09am

Unfortunately, it is not possible to import Categories only (although this makes sense and might be included in a future release).  Currently, the following 4 fields are REQUIRED for any new Import:

SKU
Product Name
Description
On-line Price

... so, there is no way to Import only the Categories.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2007 at 12:38am
thanks for the note back. 
Yes, I think it should be added for a future release.  i have about 200 categories to enter the extra information into.
Yikes.

Curt
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2007 at 10:33am
Ultimately, these Categories will contain products, right?  If you were to add the products during the import, the Categories will be created... so our suggestion would be to simply make sure that your import file contains the products that will be assigned to these Categories, and then you won't have to create them individually via the ProductCart Control Panel.
The ProductCart Team

avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2007 at 12:08pm
Yep, I figured that part out.  I will still have to manually enter the meta tag information for each category eventually.
Thanks again
Curt
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2007 at 5:02pm

You can easily import that information into your store database by using the import features that are built into MS SQL and MS Access. A simple CSV file with the category ID, title and description meta tags will work. You can create it in MS Excel.

If you are using MS SQL, see if your Web hosting company provides with an administration area that gives you access to MS SQL import/export tools. Many do so.

If you are using MS Access: turn off your store, download the MDB file, import the information, and re-upload the file to your Web server. Then turn the store back on.

We hope this helps!

The ProductCart Team

avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2009 at 4:11pm
I notice that this category import feature has now been added to ProductCart, so that is good news. However, how about a "Export for re-import" feature, similar to the way the Import Product wizard works.   Has anyone written a script for this?
Thanks
Curt
johnway2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnway2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2009 at 11:06pm
I agree with avalight. Also, I don't see any way to get the CategoryID once you have performed the initial upload.
John
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2009 at 12:46am
I figured out a workaround for this missing element in PC Admin side...In order to export or get a listing for the current information in the categories table, I ended up logging into my MSSQL database and running a query.  To manage your database Microsoft offers a free tool called Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C243A5AE-4BD1-4E3D-94B8-5A0F62BF7796&displaylang=en
If you can run an MS access query, you can figure this out too.  I output the query to a text report and loaded into Excel. You will have to get log in access from your hosting company.  The field names in the categories table do not match exactly to the names in the PC documentation, but you can figure that out too.  Except for the sort order, maybe Hamish or someone can tell me the field name for the sort order. 
Thanks

Curt
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2009 at 5:32am
Hi John,
     Any URL that contains a link to a category will show the ID, so the "manage categories" page effectively makes them all available - in the link to each category. I'm curious as to why you need the ID value.

I've also got an idea for a work-around for loading all the categories, although it would work best if there are no proper product records loaded yet. In summary the plan is to load a set of dummy products with the categories and then delete the products, leaving the categories behind.

Use the product import feature and provide values for:
SKU
Product Name
Description
On-line Price
Inactive - Set this flag so these fake products are not visible in the storefront.

There are several approaches.
A) Use real SKU's for products that will be later properly uploaded - in which case your done as the product records will be updated with the correct values when you upload or update the products with the correct values later.

B) Make the SKU's unique (easily done in excel) and preferably nothing like the real SKU's you will be using, although that really won't matter if are deleting all the products afterwards. After importing ...
    - If ONLY the products you imported are set as "Inactive" use “purgeInactiveProducts.asp” which is available from the WIKI page linked to below.
    -  If they are the ONLY products then use “purgeProducts.asp” where you can choose to purge them all. 
The notes on the WIKI link below arte IMPORTANT - please read and understand all the ramifications before running the code.
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/remove_all_products

Note - If you already have real products loaded including inactive ones then you would end up having to delete the "fake" products individually, in which case this is not likely to save any time, unless, as above, you can make them the only "inactive" products.

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS, but if your doing this with an empty DB then there is no real risk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic