ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Importing Categories only

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnway2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2009 at 2:26pm
Hamish,
I needed the categoryID to load deeper levels of categories where the categories have the same name, per the PC documentation and sample category template. But I just was thinking and I don't think you can use the product import feature with more than two levels IF you have categories with the same name.
For example, let's say I have three top categories, Car, Truck & Van and then under each of those I have Dodge, Toyota & Chevrolet and then under each of those Red, Blue and Green. When I perform a PRODUCT export, products in Car - Dodge - Red will have the same Category (Red) and Parent Category (Dodge) as the products in Truck - Dodge - Red.

I probably just need to create a flatter hierarchy.

Any thoughts on a better category approach to this situation?

Thanks,
John
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2009 at 9:00pm
Hi,
   Are these categories the real ones, or just an example?
For this scenario I would probably use product options for the color, or, if the different color indicates a different SKU then I would use the Apparel add-on - see http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/products_options
Note, although it's called the "Apparel" add-on that's just one use for it.
If you have specifics about the categories that you don't wish to discuss on the public forum then you can drop me a PM.

The optimum category structure is a subjective thing and totally depends on whatever will make it easy for customers to get to the products they wish to purchase quickly and simply, so they are not tempted to shop elsewhere. 
That's one of the great things about the Apparel Add-on. Instead of the customer perceiving that, for example, there are 36 different versions of the same product in a list which they then have to select from, they are offered a single "product" and select the (say) size and color that they wish on a single page. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic