ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Importing products with more than 3 categories

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWThayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importing products with more than 3 categories
    Posted: 25-August-2010 at 12:29pm
We currently have about 1000 products we want to import using the import wizard.  We want to be able to provide our customers multiple ways to find these products, but when I use the import wizard it only allows me to fill in fields for category, additional category 1 and additional category 2. 

Is there any way I can import these products into more than three categories, or is there an easy way to export then re-import the products with additional categories?
ITistic View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 12:55pm
As far as I know the only way to do this would be to customize the product import tool built into PC. Maybe some of the other regulars here will have another workaround. We'd be happy to help you if you'd like.
Shawn Berg
Owner / Project Manager
(877) iTISTIC / (877) 484-7842
WWThayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWThayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 2:00pm
 How would I go about doing this? or is this something I would need to buy support time for?
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 2:17pm
I think the point Shawn is making is that there is no stock functionality to do what you are asking for.  He has proposed to take on a custom programming assignment to build a solution, which is the only solution I am aware of being a possibility.

We have run into similar scenarios for which we had to build custom solutions such as creating a make/model/year import for automotive parts, and an import for volume discount pricing data.
WWThayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWThayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 2:22pm
Ok Thanks for the help.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 2:38pm
@WWThayer -  I believe you just import it twice. The second time you use "update" and use different categories.  Please try it with a small file.
WWThayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WWThayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 3:51pm
Thank you very much Matt I had not followed the update section of the import wizard far enough to see the section about choosing between adding the product to the new category, or replacing the category with the new one.

This solves all of my problems. Thank you very much.
ITistic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITistic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-August-2010 at 3:53pm
Greg - Thanks for chiming in. You were exactly correct.

Matt - I *thought* that may be an option, but wasn't 100% sure. Great to know!

WWThayer - Glad this worked for you. Enjoy ProductCart!
Shawn Berg
Owner / Project Manager
(877) iTISTIC / (877) 484-7842
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic