ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Importing Subproducts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importing Subproducts
    Posted: 17-October-2007 at 2:05am
hello
I am a bit confused about the importing of the subproducts and the fields used for this import procedures.  I have all the main products set up, with Options and attributes.
The manual is not clear on what the option information that is required.  When I  look at the sample import file I see

Parent Product SKU
Sub-product SKU
Option Group 1
Attribute 1
Option Group 2
Attribute 2
etc

I have 4 options groups, and each group has anywhere from 3 to 14 attributes.  So what information is going in here? 

What I think I need is one line/row for each subproduct that contains the option/variation combination.  For expample,  if I have a Parent Product with Options 1 and 2.  For this Parent Product, we offer In option 1 there are 3 attributes and option 2 has 6 attributes.  For this Parent Product, I would thus have 18 lines to import.  Other parent products may have more or less than 18 lines, depending on there own unique combination of option/attributes.

Am I close?
Thanks

Curt
Confetti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Confetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2007 at 6:52pm
avalight.  I am new as well.  I did not contact PC directly on this because I simply assumed it was not possible to import over 4 options with over 4 attributes (previously I inquired above other Product database inport fields, and was told that what you see is what is available).  so I used the Apparel batch process sub products, and it worked fine.  BUT there is a caveat, there is a PC bug.  Check your options and MAKE SURE THEY ARE NUMBERED.  Otherwise contact PC for a special script you need to install.  Anyway, using the batch process took me 1 hour of wait for 10,000 items.  Have some coffee.  After, check out the apparel product - sub products and view.  If all ok, then great, if not here is a trick I found to resolve.  In my case I needed to change the image name on each of 5000 items.  Ouch.  I again did not ask, but if you go to "import sub-products", there is NO way to MODIFY existing (Like there is in the Non-apparel product import).  There are two ways to do this.  One by one, in the control panel, search for any product, select it, then in the browser address bar change the product id to a your last product (If you go to help - trouble shooting - scroll to the bottom and view your product count - pick this number). Then work back to find the item you need to change.  Admittedly, this is a pain to find, because to match the PC ID and your sku as far as I know is another workaround.  What I did is make sure that I knew what order my imports and batch process were run, then create a new column in excel and numbered in that order, then verified the steps above that PC ID number x matched my sku.  If this is confusing and it must be, just let me know and I will try to explain better.  Anyway, if you have 100's or more, then you can use the Product Import, modify feature.  problem here is that you need to have the CREATED Sku.  Again, in PC there is no way I see to export this (you can export products but not sub products).  So again, in excel, I had to create them, but this is easy or relatively easy depending on your combinations.  Once you have the created SKU, I other fields are the same.  Just import (modify) in the Product Section and if works.  Is this message convoluted or what?  Dale
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2007 at 7:58pm

dale
Your post was very confusing.  But EI wrote a fix to the export products routine, so now you can export sub-products to a csv file too.
Good thing, as I have 33,000 sub-products.
Whew!

Curt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic