ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Inserting a coupon code into a link?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrekLightGear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inserting a coupon code into a link?
    Posted: 28-June-2008 at 11:41pm
What I'm trying to do is be able to offer a link to customers that will automatically apply a specified coupon code or savings to their cart.   I'm setting up a system to try to help convert customers who are exiting the shopping cart without purchasing and I'd like to have a popup link that says 'Click here to return to your cart and save 10%' or something along those lines.  I'd like to avoid having to provide the coupon code to the customers and was hoping it could be packaged into the link itself.    Is this easy/possible?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2008 at 5:57am
Hi,
   I can see your reasoning.  However I can see several problems, aside from any technical difficulties of creating a hidden coupon.
Here's my two cents :-)

- Many people run pop up blockers.
- There are lots of other reasons apart from product prices why people abandon carts, browsing and comparing sites, shipping costs, an interruption ,etc etc.
- Any link you provide is likely to be pretty easy to examine to find the details of how it works.
- It's quite likely that word would spread as there are lots of coupon sharing sites etc and that you would get people deliberately using it.
- Returning customers who had used it before would also deliberately use it.

I think you would probably be better off to offer a first time customer discount and then, once you have their customer details, you will be able to use those to market direct to them in any way that you wish.

As I said, that's just my personal opinion :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic