ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Internal Server Error - Install on Parallels (Ples
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Internal Server Error - Install on Parallels (Ples

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voicedata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Internal Server Error - Install on Parallels (Ples
    Posted: 24-March-2010 at 1:25pm
I am trying to install ProductCart on a Windows Server that is running Parallels (Plesk).  I am getting Internal Server Errors that are haulting my progress.

Here is the actualy page:
http://voipstore.voicedata24.com/productcart/setup/step2.asp

Whenever I enter a DB connection string and click Run Tests, it gives me an Internal Server Error EVERYTIME!

I do not know if this is an issue with ASP settings on the server or what.  Does anyone have any ideas?

http://voicedata24.com
http://datarecovery24hours.com
http://ablegroups.com
cognecy View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2010 at 1:31pm
voicedata,

Can you tell me if your server is a Windows 2008 (IIS7) server?
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
voicedata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voicedata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2010 at 2:49pm
yes it is

cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2010 at 3:12pm
Okay, we can work with that.

First, IIS7 is not automatically compatible with ProductCart software.  You will need to do a few things on your server (or have your host do it if you are hosted).

1) You will need to set up a Dedicated Application Pool for your site.  Ask your host how much resources are allocated to dedicated pools ... I am looking for a number greater than 120MB.  My preferred setting is at least 200MB for Pools but some hosts will not go that high.

2) You will need to set this application pool into 32-bit and Classic Mode and make sure your host has enabled parent paths (IIS7 has parent paths set to off by default when new pools are created).

3) in IIS7 you will also need to have them make sure the "KeepSessionIDSecure" setting is set to OFF.  I IIS this is located under the ASP tab --> Session Properties.

Please note that Windows 2008/IIS7 is quite a bit different than its predecessor.  I guess the simplest way to put it is that it treats all websites environment as if they were an ASP.NET application.  That being said, if you run into problems when you are debugging you will likely need a web.config files in the root to enable the display of detailed error messages (you would want to remove/rename this file after you are done debugging).  There is a setting in the ASP properties window that will allow you to set the detailed error messages to go to the screen (basically making it act like it does on Win2003) but this is a big security risk and many hosts may not be willing to set that for you ... thus the web.config file.

If you are also going to be using SQL2008 you need to contact me before you do so as you will need to make some modifications to the SQL script that creates the tables.  The ProductCart SQL DB is not fully compatible with SQL2008 due to deprecated data types.  I have the modified scripts already built that will allow it to function problem free.

Hope this helps you out.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
voicedata View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voicedata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2010 at 1:53pm
Mark,
I did all of this and now I am getting errors even quicker.  I can not even get to /ProductCart/setup  It gives me internal server error.

I also went in and imported the DB and it still did not help.

This is not urgent and I have more important things to work on so I think we are just going to have someone install it for us.  Windows is such a pain in the neck..IMO linux+PHP is much more straightforward

If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks

Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2010 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by cognecy cognecy wrote:

2) You will need to set this application pool into 32-bit and Classic Mode

Hi there,

would this the same as switching from Integrated mode to Classic mode?
EveningSecrets Lingerie...what 'every body' wants
EveningSecrets Lingerie
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2010 at 10:45pm
Rick_N,

As it applies to Win2008 64Bit servers, that would be correct.

I also need to preface this as we are discovering that how windows 2008 is set up with different hosts can certainly have weight on how effective these settings will be.  In looking at many different hosted systems I am discovering that how different Host Management Software integrates with Win2008 also matters.

So to qualify my earlier statements ... "In general" (meaning this is just general IIS7 knowledge), changing from integrated to Classic mode will be necessary and here is why:    ASP.NET 2.0 applications on IIS7 are hosted using the ASP.NET Integrated Mode by default and on 64Bit versions this means 64Bit Integrated Mode.  IIS7 also allows for hosting using ASP.NET legacy applications in legacy Classic ASP.NET Integrated mode which works the same way as all previous versions of IIS. This is actually a very smart move by Microsoft which enables nearly all existing applications to work and function the same way they always have.  Now, setting '32-bit applications' to true just forces the Application pool to to treat the environment the way YOU want it to be treated (e.g. if it is not a 64 bit application, we are just letter the server know that up front).  Changing the setting for 32 Bit Applications is located in the Advanced settings for the Application pool. 

I have spent some time speaking with Early Impact about various setups and they are testing various scenarios with Win2008 as well as taking feedback from us developers/hosts that are using Win2008 successfully.  If you have access to the server and your host is willing to work with you I would say the best advice would be to open a Ticket with Early Impact so that everyone can work together to get the environment set up the way it needs to be.

Bottom line is that ProductCart will and does work VERY WELL on Windows 2008 ...  much better than on Windows 2005 in my opinion (now that I have the secret sauce in a manner of speaking).  This is due primarily to better pool management with more expansive control of how the pools are set up and behave.

I would certainly be willing to speak with you offline since I also host my customers on Parallels software (HSphere rather than Plesk but they are very similar) But I also "Strongly" suggest you open a Ticket with Early Impact as well.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Rick_N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick_N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2010 at 5:55pm
Mark,
thank you for the great information. I am proud to announce that this new web host I just found allows me access to IIS7 through II Manager. Now this is my first time ever using this program but found my way around pretty quick with the use of the internet. The problem I was having prior to switching was sessions being dropped. So far, by keeping the default timeout set to 20 minutes I have not lost my session yet. Great news from this side.

I have set it to classic mode and do not seem to have any problems whatsoever. I was also able to get 200MB of resources put aside on a dedicated app pool. Unlimited bandwidth and huge amount of storage. Not bad for 10bux a month. Plus I have access to apply all the tweaks that I find such as yours. I can't tell you how hard it is to get some of these support guys to change something. They kept saying it was the software. I stood behind PC and argued until I left.

Having said all that, if I have some questions would you mind answering them if I contacted you privately? I have a pretty good idea of what is going on so most of my questions I believe would be for clarification.

Thanks again for the info you have provided here. I hope others find it to be an asset.

Rick
EveningSecrets Lingerie...what 'every body' wants
EveningSecrets Lingerie
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2010 at 6:36pm
Definitely you can contact me any time.  I, like several other developers here, volunteer our time to help people on the EI Forum. Just send me a PM.

I just sent you a PM with all my contact info.

Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
razorfrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote razorfrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-July-2010 at 8:16pm
Same error (and step in the setup process), but I'm not running a new version - my details below. Any suggestions?

Windows 2003 Server
Plesk 7.6 w/ IIS 6.0
ASP.NET 1.1 and 2.0 Frameworks
MS SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition
MySQL 4.1.x

Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic