ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart Add-on's > QuickBooks Add-on
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Line Item Tax - Send Tax Table info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Line Item Tax - Send Tax Table info
    Posted: 06-August-2010 at 1:50am
After using QuickBooks Add-on for a while we've encountered a new got-cha.  Our customer is in Florida and uses line item tax with a tax table.  Florida has a different sales tax for each county.

When PC sends the invoice to QB the line item tax does not identify the tax percentage.  i.e. Volusia County 6.5%, Orange County 7.0% and so on.

Our customer's CPA is saying they need to keep a record of how much sales tax was collected for each tax category i.e. 6.0%, 6.5%, etc.  Mainly for auditing purposes.

The customer has separate tax accounts in QB for each tax ie. 6%, 6.5%, 7.0%, etc.  The shopping cart software they previous used had a QB Add-on that would send the invoice over as an order level tax indenifying the specific tax collected.  That amount would be added to the appropriate tax account and everyone was happy.

This problem surfaced when the customer went to run the QB Tax report and found the line item tax that does not breakdown each tax category i.e. 6.0%, 6.5%, etc.

I realize Florida and a few other states have this same challenge.  It seems that to modify QB Add-on to support this need could possibly be a major endeavor.

We thought a possible solution could be to include the tax info from the tax table in the invoice.   Maybe even replace or append the line item tax with the info from the tax table.   This way the customer could manually update the invoice in QB without having to go back to PC, edit the order and click on check tax (which is what they are doing for every order).

Example.

Current Line item tax description = Florida Sales Tax

Proposed line item tax description = Florida Sales Tax (Orange County - 7%)

Of course ultimately sending the tax as an order level tax would be the preferred solution, but it seems QB does not support order level tax with a tax table.

Thank you,
John
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 2:14am
Hi John, are you asking if the Add-On supports order level tax, or are you saying it is not working?  Have you read the section in the guide about configuring your tax preferences?  From what you have posted I think line item tax and a tax file would be the best solution for you.  However, you can use order level tax and have the same results.  You basically just map the accounts in ProductCart to the ones in QuickBooks.  If you feel you have found a bug please open a support ticket so we can investigate.
odathp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 10:21am
I guess my last post was a little long winded.  To summarize, the customer is currently using line item tax and a tax file.  Everything works.  They would like to include the [tax file] tax rate on the invoice.

The invoice currently says "Florida Sales Tax" on the line item tax description.  They would like to change it to "Florida Sales Tax (Orange County 7%).  "Orlando County 7%" comes from the tax file.

Could you point me to the code?  I could have my staff modified it to meet the customer needs.  Or, if Early Impact feels this is a valuable enhancement, they could include it in the next version of PC.

Now that I think of it, this is possibly not a QB Add-on issue.  I put it here because the customer needs to identify the tax rate for each invoice that is sent to QB (for IRS auditing purposes).

Thanks,
John
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 10:34am
Some time ago we built a custom sales report that tracks sales tax by rate at the line item level.  If that would be useful, we could provide such a mod for you.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 12:55pm
So you basically just need the description of the tax in QuickBooks to have more detail.  What value do you have for "Display taxes separately?" in ProductCart tax settings?
odathp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 8:00pm
The "Display taxes separately" option is not available when using a tax file.  We are using a tax file.

We did noticed when "not using a tax file" there is an option for taxing by location.  It appears in theory we could add each Florida zip code and the corresponding tax rate with a description.

The customers tax file has 1471 zip codes.  Wonder if there is a way to import that data into PC database?

Seems to be a better option then a tax file.  Giving us the ability to put a description of each tax rate that we are assuming would show up on the invoice.

Thanks,
John
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 8:19pm
Thanks John, that is correct.  Really the tax file is a great option for you.  Entering 1471 zones into ProductCart and mapping them to items in QuickBooks would work, but that is really not efficient.   What exactly do you need in your report?  The invoice already has the zip code and tax rate.  Do you need the county name?  Maybe you can customize the report.  Just a thought.
odathp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 8:50pm
Just so we are on the same page, the invoice does not show the tax rate when using a tax file.  That is our problem.

Also, I wasn't talking about using tax zones.  I was thinking about using tax by location using zip codes, which does not require mapping them to items in Quickbooks.

It seems like the tax by location using zip codes is the same as using a tax file with the benefit of a user defined description along with going back to an order level tax vs the line item tax.

Here is what our customer is currently doing.

1.  Going PC and editing the order
2.  Clicks on "Check Tax Rate" and gets the tax info (Orange County 7%)
3.  Going back to QB invoice and deleting the line item tax
4.  Changing the invoice to order level
5.  Selecting a tax account for the appropriate tax rate

If we could show the tax rate on the invoice, they wouldn't have to go back to PC and find the tax rate for each invoice.  They would still be deleting the line item tax because QB Add-on does not support order level tax when using a tax file.

Thanks again,
John
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 9:30pm
Hi John,

Tax by Location does require mapping.  Everything I said is correct, except that I said "zone" instead of "location".  You would need to create one "location" for each of the tax codes and map them to items in QuickBooks.

Regarding the line item tax.  I am not clear at all.  You are saying that invoice does not show the tax rate, but you are deleting the line item tax from QuickBooks.  It sounds like it is there if you are deleting it.  Are you saying their is a line item, but it has no rate (e.g. 0%).  If that is what you are saying you should open a ticket so we can review your control panel settings.  No one has ever reported that issue before.

In any event, if you are removing the line item tax from QuickBooks and replacing it with Order Level, then why not just use the Order Level setting?

If you need further assistance please open a ticket so we have the information we need to properly investigate. 

odathp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odathp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2010 at 10:34pm
There is a line item tax, but not showing tax rate.  Also, the tax rate does not display in the PC invoice.

To be honest, I really like the idea of taxing by location and mapping each tax code to an item in QuickBooks.  That would completely resolve the real issue here.

When using a tax file, QB Add-on requires using a line item tax which can not be mapped to items in QB.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic