ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making a field non-searchable??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Making a field non-searchable??
    Posted: 12-May-2008 at 6:27pm
Is there a way to make the [Details]/long description field non-searchable? We use this field for a lot of information and want to make sure customers aren't grabbing KW's out of it.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 3:51pm
Hi,
  I just re-read your post - I think I misunderstood it last time.
Do you just wish to "hide" the long description field from the  built in search facility?
If so a mildly customized version of SearchResults.asp will be needed to drop that field.
It won't stop Google etc from finding & indexing that text - or customers from copying the words etc though of course.

njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 3:57pm
That is exactly what I want to do Hammish. Hide the long description from the built in search. We of course still want customers to still see it and google to index it. So the file to edit would be the SearchResults.asp. Thank you very much.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:01pm
Yep - No problem - Look for code like :
    tmpSQL="(products.details LIKE "
    tmpSQL2="(products.description LIKE "
    tmpSQL3="(products.sDesc LIKE "

It occurs a few times & I don't recall off the top of my head which one you need to knock out - I would think it's products.description.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:07pm
If your happy to do this yourself that's great - please post the definitive answer here - just in case others wish to do so.

Actually - I think the best line to comment out is a touch further down -
    strSQL=strSQL & " OR " & tmpSQL2

Line 475 in my copy. Or perhaps the line above that one. I'll have to look elsewhere to confirm which one. - Or you could just try it & see :-) 
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:11pm
I think its the products.details. The field in my dbo.products table that I don't want searchable is details. This might help a ton, thanks a bunch.

Here is our site with over 18,000 products if you want to check it out, any suggestions would also be helpful. Tongue
http://https://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/viewCategories.asp 
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:13pm
Well I am sure you guys can figure out what is wrong with the link above, how about this.

http://shop.rings-things.com/cart/pc/viewCategories.asp
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:36pm
Darn it - Of course - The answer is in your question - It's the products.details - which IS the line above :
It actuially appears TWICE - Lines 385 & 474. 
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:55pm
18,000 products - Wow!
It looks fine to me - although I know nowt about beads etc :-)

The only thing I noticed was the font color in the pop up tooltip still being the default blue - which you can change via the pc/ei-tooltip.css file.

BTW - The reason for suggesting the change above is that it's the least work  & least change to the  code - so easier to maintain. From a purist perspective it would be better to knock out more of the code, but I like, if at all possible to keep changes to the minimum  for ease of maintenance unless there are significant reasons such as performance for making the the change greater in scope.

Was it you who posted on the performance of the searches before? I recall there being a site with a very large number of products who had some issue? This change will decrease the scope of the search so will naturally improve it's speed a bit.
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 5:04pm
Yes that was me that posted about the search performance. After we set up a ticket and got the new Patch from Early Impact the search speed increased dramatically.

Thanks for both tips now. I will for sure post if commenting out the above helps with removing the details search.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic