ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Making a field non-searchable??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2008 at 5:31pm
I have the patch... which lines should I comment out to eliminate search from sdesc and details? I only want to search dbo.description
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2008 at 5:28pm
Yes that is correct, and dbo.sDesc is the short description under the title/name. 
nathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2008 at 5:24pm
One quick question... my dbo.description hold our titles. Is this correct?
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2008 at 5:08pm
I'd love to know the comparative results.
I guess a key factor will be the comparative percentages of text in the fields you are removing, compared with those you are keeping.
nathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-June-2008 at 4:33pm
I am going to test this as well. Thank you!
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 5:31pm
I will have to check, I didn't install the patch. Once I get to it this week I will post for sure no matter what I find out.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 5:20pm
Hi,
   Did you get a new version of SearchResults.asp as part of the patch? If so then my idea may not apply - it depends on what changes were done by EA.
njessen42 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njessen42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 5:04pm
Yes that was me that posted about the search performance. After we set up a ticket and got the new Patch from Early Impact the search speed increased dramatically.

Thanks for both tips now. I will for sure post if commenting out the above helps with removing the details search.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:55pm
18,000 products - Wow!
It looks fine to me - although I know nowt about beads etc :-)

The only thing I noticed was the font color in the pop up tooltip still being the default blue - which you can change via the pc/ei-tooltip.css file.

BTW - The reason for suggesting the change above is that it's the least work  & least change to the  code - so easier to maintain. From a purist perspective it would be better to knock out more of the code, but I like, if at all possible to keep changes to the minimum  for ease of maintenance unless there are significant reasons such as performance for making the the change greater in scope.

Was it you who posted on the performance of the searches before? I recall there being a site with a very large number of products who had some issue? This change will decrease the scope of the search so will naturally improve it's speed a bit.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 4:36pm
Darn it - Of course - The answer is in your question - It's the products.details - which IS the line above :
It actuially appears TWICE - Lines 385 & 474. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic