ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Migrating to a new Host: GoDaddy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Migrating to a new Host: GoDaddy.
    Posted: 30-November-2009 at 10:24pm
Hello!

Let me start by saying that I have looked through the open threads and wiki entries on this issue, but I'm still having some problems.

The situation: We are in the process of changing hosts. I have moved the ProductCart files from the our previous server, to our new server and laid them out exactly as they were organized prior to the move. I have changed the path to the Access database file in 'storeconstants.asp' to reflect the new absolute path on the current server.

Now, when I visit the storefront on the new server, I can see a grid of our products. However, if I click on 'more details', I am greeted with:

500 - Internal server error.
There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

And, when I click on 'Register' or 'log-in', I am given the following error:

Not Found

The requested URL /store/xx/Custva.asp was not found on this server.

Additional details: Our store is 'closed' on our old server.

If you could provide any help, that would be great! Also, if you're a moderator, I can give you the URL to preview the issue, if you think it will help.

Thanks!

Edited by ian - 30-November-2009 at 10:44pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2009 at 10:45pm

Neither the fact that you are running your store on Access, or that you are moving to (ughh) Godaddy, seem like good ideas. 

If you reach any (even moderate) level of traffic, the store will likely experience timeout-related errors, possibly at the worst point possible - in the midst of your checkout process.  I speak from experience with a number of stores that started on Access and we eventually had no option but to upgrade to MSSQL.  Best choice for such an upgrade is mark@cognecy.com.

As for Godaddy, search the forum and you will find plenty of rants (inluding my own) as to why it is not typically successful over the long run to host with them.  Notwithstanding the fact that they overload their servers, don't have the appropriate server components for the upload/resize feature of the product admin tools, nobody on their staff has any knowledge or gives a rip about your application needs.  I feel strongly that it is in your best interest to host with someone who actually is familiar with and will respond to your PC questions.

With that said, you need to do a couple things: 
First you need to upload a web.config file to the root of the site so that you will get detailed error messages, instead of the 500 error.  Then you can post the real error and we can help further.

The web.config needs to contain this:
<system.webServer>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
</system.webServer>

Second, you need to refer to this page http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/show_raw_errors?s[]=opendb&s[]=asp and comment out the first “on error resume next” statement in includes/opendb.asp

With those steps completed, you should get some sort of error message that may reveal the actual problem.
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2009 at 10:49pm
ian,

I will be very short and to the point on my reply (which is very unusual for me - lol) ...

I have been working with ProductCart for a number of years and there are many other developers on this forum that have been here much longer than I of whom I know will give the same advice ... Do Not Host Your Serious Web Business with GoDaddy (or NoDaddy as another developer here affectionately calls them.)

There are just way too many inherent problems with trying to run a DB/Application based software with this host. 

Sorry to be so blunt on this topic but I have seen too many new stores try to host there and have nothing but problems.  Many of us developers, myself included, will not even work on a site if it is hosted with GoDaddy. 

You will be doing your business a favor, as well as give your self a head start to being successful on the web, by hosting with any one of the fine developer/hosts here on the forum that are familiar with the ProductCart Application and what it takes to keep it running smoothly.

One other thing to consider it to move away from Access ... your site really needs to be running SQL server for your database - especially if you plan on taking credit cards.  You simply cannot secure an Access DB to the level it needs to be for running an online store (despite what some may tell you, it is not possible).  Whatever you do, NEVER run an SQL DB with Godaddy.

Did I say I was going to be short and to the point?  Well, I tried anyway.

If you would like to talk in depth on this subject send me an IM with your contact details and I would be happy to give more specifics and advice on getting your store up and running smoothly from day 1.

Edited by cognecy - 30-November-2009 at 10:50pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2009 at 11:00pm
<<<The requested URL /store/xx/Custva.asp was not found on this server. >>>

sounds like your "productcartfolder.asp" may not have been correctly configured.
ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 9:35am
Originally posted by Greg Dinger Greg Dinger wrote:

<<<The requested URL /store/xx/Custva.asp was not found on this server. >>>

sounds like your "productcartfolder.asp" may not have been correctly configured.

I've taken a look at this file and the folder name that it refers to has remained the same, 'store'. ProductCart was functioning prior to this move, so I hadn't changed anything in there. The domain is the same, as well. We are, however, using a .ca domain and the path in that file mentions .com. Does the TLD mentioned in "productcartfolder.asp" have to reflect the .ca?
ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 9:38am

The web.config needs to contain this:

<system.webServer><httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" /></system.webServer>

Second, you need to refer to this page http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/how_to/show_raw_errors?s[">=opendb&s[">=asp and comment out the first “on error resume next” statement in includes/<SPAN =search_hit>opendb</SPAN>.<SPAN =search_hit>asp</SPAN>

With those steps completed, you should get some sort of error message that may reveal the actual problem.

Hi Greg, thanks for your response!

I've created a web.config file containing the code you had posted. It looks like this:

Quote <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<system.web>
<httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
</system.web>
</configuration>

I have also edited the "opendb.asp" file to comment out the line you had mentioned. That portion of the file now looks like this:

function closeDB()
/* on error resume next */
connTemp.close

The result is that I receive the same 500 - Internal Server error as mentioned above, but when accessing the entire site, not just when accessing the ProductCart portion. Any ideas?

Edited by ian - 01-December-2009 at 9:39am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 9:42am
No, TLD does not need to appear in that file.  Your complete domain name must appear in the /store/includes/storeconstants.asp

This is too much of a  guessing game without at least seeing the site.  I'd suggest you either post the URL to your store here, file a support ticket with Early Impact, or engage someone who can dig in and help.  (If you were hosting with someone who knows and understands ProductCart, you would not be stuck at this point - your host could likely resolve the issue in moments.  Since you are playing with nodaddy, obviously they are not going to help.)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 9:57am
Ian - responding to your 5:38 post.  Now you see why some of us are so outspoken against the host you have selected, and basically refuse to work for clients who insist on hosting there.  Everything is a hassle.  Just trying to get past the stupid 500 error is a unnecessary waste of time. 

Secondly, concerning your edits to the opendb.asp, a couple points.
- I note that the WIKI page assumed that the reader understands how to comment ASP code, and the choice (/*  */) you made was incorrect.  I have updated the WIKI to indicate that the means by which one comments out ASP statements is to place a single quote ' mark at the beginning line.  So to comment out "on error resume next" would look like this:
'on error resume next

- However, I'm not sure how you reached this conclusion, but you commented out the wrong statement.  The instructions were to comment out the first instance in the file, and you attempted to comment out the similar statement in the CloseDB function.

You really might want at this point to get someone involved who knows how to go directly to the source of the problem and resolve whatever issues currently exist.  If you are staying at this host, probably the best choice is to file a support ticket.
ian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 10:14am

Ian - responding to your 5:38 post.  Now you see why some of us are so outspoken against the host you have selected, and basically refuse to work for clients who insist on hosting there.  Everything is a hassle.  Just trying to get past the stupid 500 error is a unnecessary waste of time. 

Secondly, concerning your edits to the opendb.asp, a couple points.
- I note that the WIKI page assumed that the reader understands how to comment ASP code, and the choice (/*  */) you made was incorrect.  I have updated the WIKI to indicate that the means by which one comments out ASP statements is to place a single quote ' mark at the beginning line.  So to comment out "on error resume next" would look like this:
'on error resume next

- However, I'm not sure how you reached this conclusion, but you commented out the wrong statement.  The instructions were to comment out the first instance in the file, and you attempted to comment out the similar statement in the CloseDB function.

Hi again Greg,

I confess, I have not worked with ASP before, so this is new to me. I have made the changes you mentioned and received similar results. I appreciate your criticisms of GoDaddy, unfortunately, switching hosts is not something we are prepared to do at the moment, unless absolutely necessary, for a few reasons.

Thank you for your help so far. I will try submitting a ticket, though I was hoping support staff from EI also post on the forums.
netprofits View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 10:39am
Hi Ian,

You probably saw this Wiki article but just in case here is the post for GoDaddy:

Here is the warning in that post about NOT using GoDaddy:
NOTE: As of April, 2009, we are no longer able to say with certainty that ProductCart will work with GoDaddy! This is due to the fact that several customers have reported problems with the ability to access the XML Parser on their shared server, which is required for using UPS, FedEx and many of the Payment Gateways. Effective April 2, 2009, we recommend NOT using GoDaddy's shared hosting for your ProductCart store. If you decide to try them despite this warning, the following article should still be applicable.

Unfortunately, as has been mentioned above and in many other posts, GoDaddy is not ideal for hosting a Product Cart site. Early Impact cannot possibly support all of the issues that come up related to using unrecommended hosting services. The issues you are experiencing are with the hosting service, not with Product Cart. You should look to GoDaddy for hosting support.

Please here me (and the others). We are not tryig to be facetious but you really do get what you pay for. GoDaddy is very cheap and for an ecommerce site, that is NOT a good thing. You will spend more time (and money in wasted time) using them than you would paying a little more with a quality hosting service that supports Product Cart.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic