ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MIVA vs ProducCart

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weblications Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MIVA vs ProducCart
    Posted: 19-March-2010 at 12:12pm
I was hopeing that some of the MIVA converts could tell me why you switched to ProductCart.  I am looking at converting two web sites, but the vendor wants some strong justification changing platforms.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2010 at 12:46pm
Hi Bob,

We don't have a direct comparison between ProductCart and MIVA. However, we do have a page that points out features in ProductCart that are often missing in other shopping carts. It might help a bit.

Comparing ProductCart to other shopping carts >>
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2010 at 12:53pm
I've set up a site with MIVA for a customer about 10 years ago, so this may be outdated. 
Out of the box it wasn't bad at all for what was available at that time.  Customizing it turned out to be nightmare.  Too many limitations, since you really don't own the cart.  Plus you have to pay monthly fees for using it.  I've pushed it to the max and was still not happy with it.  Later I found PC.  More features and easier to customize.  I'm not an ASP programmer, but just browsing in this forum will quickly show you that are people here quite capable and willing to modify the code for you.  Overall I'm glad I choose this PC.  Plus customer support is excellent, something unknown at MIVA.
Katharina
www.GermanPlaza.com
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2010 at 12:59pm
We just looked up MIVA in the list of PA-DSS validated applications, and it is not listed there.

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/security_standards/pa_dss.shtml

Validation under the Payment Application Data Security Standard program is a requirement for any merchant seeking to be PCI compliant. You cannot be PCI compliant if you are using an e-commerce system that is not PA-DSS validated (except in very rare scenarios in which no payment information at all is being "passed" through the store).

Remember that even if you are just "passing" payment information to a payment gateway without ever storing it in your store database, you are still considered a "payment application" and therefore must be validated under PA-DSS.

ProductCart v4 has been PA-DSS validated since the fall of 2009.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
loracady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loracady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2010 at 3:21pm

I was "married" to MIVA for many years, unfortunately.  The most important thing to know is that MIVA really isn't even in the same league with Product Cart.  With MIVA you have to buy all those modules to get the product to do what you need it to do.  With ProductCart, a few add-ons are available, but it is actually rare that you'll need to buy one, because PC does just about everything right out of the box.  The learning curve is steeper with Product Cart (I think) but there are few limitations to what you can do.  When I've had questions, this forum has been incredibly helpful, so the answers have not been that hard to find.  Even a relative novice like me can create a nice looking, very functional website quickly. 

I would highly recommend ProductCart over MIVA any day! 
www.TheSleepShop.com
wesley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2010 at 8:22am
Last year we were having difficulties with PC, which have been resolved, but my developer convinced me that Miva was the way to go, so I invested a lot of money to do the switch, so as a website owner I can tell you PC is a much better platform than Miva. You have to buy a Module for everything with Miva. We ultimately abandoned the move and lost money on the switch because Miva could not perform the same functions as PC's Apparel piece. I never realized how powerful PC's Apparel piece was until I was forced to look into what others had to offer, so my vote is for PC and I have been with them for six years. If you have a good developer I don't think anyone can really touch PC for the money. That's my two cents.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic