FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving from shared hosting to VDS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 6:30pm
You probably need to engage a competent developer to help, or submit a support request to Early Impact.  There are ways that one can overcome your issue but it is reliant upon having FTP access.
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 5:59pm
so how do I login to the admin panel if the login pass doesn't work and the retrieve pass doesn't work because it won't recognize the admin email or username?
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2012 at 9:05am
my current live site is using MS SQl 2005 and I restored the database to MS SQL 2008 could that have messed up the login/pass to the admin somehow? I don't understand why it won't let me login, even using the retrieve login or password says the admin email which I know is the one on the live site is not valid.

Edited by Ludwig - 11-April-2012 at 9:06am
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 10:49pm
Well we are connecting fine, but the login on the admin panel isn't the same as the main site, is there a reason for that? We are using a subdomain of the live site's domain on the VPS which the new store will be hosted on, but I know for 100% the same login pass for the live site is not working on the VPS store and I just backed up the live database and restored it directly to a shared hosting account which is the same provider as the VPS.

I'm not sure if moving this means I need a new encryption key for the store constants or what, but it won't login even though it will display the admin login page fine which it didn't do before.
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 10:29pm
You did not really specify this was a separate shared hosting account ... was assuming that you had a control pane that allowed you to establish a DB on either your server or the shared server.  I am assuming the shared account and your Servers are being supplied by the same company/host?  If so then it really should not matter.  As long as you have the server alias (e.g.  sql.somecompany.com) the DB username, and the password you can set your connection string accordingly.   If this is your scenario then you need to contact the hositng provider and have them assist you with connections.  It may be as simple as allowing the IP of your VPS server on the SQL server. 

If your server and your shared hosting account are from two completely different hosts you might not be able to connect depending on restrictions on either side.  Also if they are different hosts your lag time will be so incredibly slow it is not worth it (due to sending requests across two different networks)

I think either way when it comes to connecting it is best to contact the host. 

Edited by cognecy - 10-April-2012 at 10:30pm
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 9:54pm
Edit

Edited by Ludwig - 10-April-2012 at 10:08pm
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 9:48pm
Well, it worked, unbelievable... I simply setup a new database on my shared hosting restored a backup of my PC database and went to the URL from my admin hosted on my VPS and BAM! Loaded right up. The new problem is that it will not accept my login and I'm 100% positive it's the same username and password from my live site, is there a reason for this? And if I click forgot password and put the main numerical admin name it says not found, don't know if this is because of the different domain or what but the login definitely doesn't work.

Edited by Ludwig - 10-April-2012 at 9:49pm
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 8:01pm
That is perfectly acceptable.  I have done that with many of my own customers that could not afford 2 VPS servers.  You will also get the benefit of a beefier server using the Host's shared server.
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 7:18pm
So if you recommend to have the database hosted separate from my store, what about just leaving my database on the shared hosting and accessing it from there? So my store files would be on the Virtual Dedicated Server and I would use a connection string that pulled the database from my current shared hosting account. Would that be a problem? Please say it will work, that will be so easy and cheap and I won't have to use buy SQL Server which is EXPENSIVE.

Edited by Ludwig - 10-April-2012 at 7:19pm
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2012 at 7:06pm
I've never run the store on SQL Express but since getting a Virtual Dedicated Server, I was trying to see if it would work even though I know everyone recommended against it, so I will try to buy a better version and see how that goes. And also, I will use that link that's exactly what I am been looking for.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic