ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multiple stores under 1 domain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple stores under 1 domain
    Posted: 22-August-2007 at 11:57am

Im working with an ad specialty company - the sell shirts, promo items, etc. 

Im pretty sure this is technically possible, but Im Im wondering if anyone else has placed multiple "stores" under one domain name. Each store would have its own look/feel and would be like this:

www.AdCompany.com/client1/productcartfileshere

www.AdCompany.com/client2/productcartfileshere

Upon checkout, I would then shift to a shared SSL for the AdCompany.  Im trying to save the client as much $ as possible when it comes to them offering a "webstore" solution for the clients.

Thanks!

netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 7:35am
Hi cdsinc, neither of the links above work. We have built something similar to this for another client. It is functional but there are limitations depending on how the "stores" are used. For example, if different stores need to limit what products or categories are available to the customer or need to charge different prices or if you need different store owners to login and manage their own products, that would all require fairly major customizations. Send me a private message if you would like more details.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
cdsinc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 9:58am

Sorry, I should clarify more on this. 

I want to run multiple instances of ProductCart under 1 domain name. Each instance will have its own license.  When it comes time for checkout, I will then redirect to the shared SSL for the domain name that will then point to each instance of product cart subfolder.

What I am going to do is buy a full product cart license for client 1 and install that under the main domain name.  Then, I will buy a full license for client 2 and install that under the same domain name. 

All that I will really be doing is renaming the default "productCart" folder to something unique for each end-client. They will pay for their own license - Im not trying to sqeeze multiple "stores/clients" out of 1 licesnse. 

Also, those links where just demos to show how it would actually look.

Thank you!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 10:44am

We haven't tried that. It sounds like it would work but I'm not sure.

Our Site
cdsinc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 11:04am

I have been digging into the manuals - you cant do this on a ParentPath disabled webhoste...

page 54: NOTE: you will not be able to use a shared SSL certificate if you are using the Parent Path Disabled version....

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 11:50am

Hi cdsinc,

Early Impact runs several stores under one domain for our demos.  It’s really simple to do, but I may be misunderstanding the post.  All you need to do is put each one in a separate folder and run the setup wizard.  You should buy a dedicated SSL as they are very affordable and 100% worth the nominal fees. Also make sure you don’t install multiple copies of the same license.  That’s all.  If you need to integrate each store into one order fulfillment center then it complex as netprofits indicated.   But, I believe, in your case they are separate so its no problem.

cdsinc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 12:33pm

Hi Matt, I do not need to have the orders flow into one fulfillment center, so thats not the problem. 

The problem that I think I might have is with the SSL.

The main company URL we'll call www.WeMakeShirts.com  I will buy a dedicated SSL for the main domain name - https://www.WeMakeShirts.com

For each client, I will get their own ProductCart license AND domain name that sits on the same hosting account (I can have 12 domain names under one account) example:  www.SellShirts.com/wss/pc - the wss would be the renamed productcart folder - this could technically also be www.WeMakeShirts.com/wss/pc

At checkout, each PC store would redirect to the main SSL (https://WeMakeShirts.com/wss/pc

I think the issue is the documentation said that you cant redirect to a shared SSL if ParentPaths are disabled.   The other easier option is just have a separate hosting account for each client.

What do you think?

THanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 1:15pm
If each site will have its own domain, you cannot use the shared SSL for all the domains even if you had parent paths enabled. If the domain changes during checkout, the session will be lost including any items in the customer's cart.

Our Site
cdsinc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdsinc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 1:25pm

Okay, then that's the answer - everything on its own hosting space and SSL - I was trying to save the client a few bucks to the end client, but they'll just have to raise their fees a few % to make up the difference :-)

Thanks for all your input!

Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-August-2007 at 3:53pm

No, you can use one hosting account. Point each domain at a separate folder.  That kind of setup will work with most hosting accounts.  ProductCart will keep sessions if you use a shared SSL. Shared SSL is by nature on a separate domain.  However, it must be on the same server.  Check the User Guide to make sure you meet the Shared SSL requirements. So you are fine to do what you need to do.  To keep it simple I would get separate dedicated SSL for each domain name, but you don’t have to.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic