ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie Needs Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macleather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Needs Help
    Posted: 23-June-2008 at 6:11pm
Hi All.
Brand new to ProductCart. Purchased on Friday and spent half of yesterday and most of today trying to get set up. I now have the set up done and  the header and footer.asp files somewhat adjusted to reflect my existing website. However, I have a couple of questions. Do I have to take my newly created template and remake all of my pages? How do I take an existing page and call the header and footer.asp files or is that not necessary? How do I add the add to cart code to my existing product pages.

Sorry to be so lame, but so far ProductCart has me stumped.

Thanks for any help

Alan
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 6:55pm
Hi,  The easy answer is no :-) .
Where you place the store really depends on your business and your existing content.
If you want your home page to be the store then you need to re-jig things and then provide a link from the store pages to your static ones. If your happy to have  content pages in the front and then link through to the store pages that's fine as well.

It's certainly possible to redo your existing pages as  pages within the store, but is not at all necessary.
macleather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macleather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 7:03pm
Thank you Hamish,

O.K. if I like my static front end, and I navigate to a product page (right now with a paypal script for standard cart) what do I change on that page to have the add to cart button call up the ProductCart. I hope this is not too much jibberish. God, I feel sooooo stupid.

Alan
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 7:34pm
Hi,
   We've all been through the learning curve :-) It doesn't take too long to "get it" - honest.
Certainly a lot less than the time to learn how to make custom saddles !!

I just took a look at your site.
I would advise moving all the products to be within the store as products, but the informational pages can stay as they are. You may perhaps also choose to move the info pages "inside" as well, if that aids a consistent look, but it's not necessary for any technical reasons.

Once you have added the categories & products via the admin panels you can then either generate  a menu of products from the admin panels, or build and maintain it manually, whichever suits your needs.

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 7:39pm
Example : Your page : http://www.mcpcustomleather.com/saddles.htm
- This would be the Category "Saddles" and the text on the page would be from the category.
- Each saddle would be shown, just as they are now if you choose the horizontal display option.

When the client clicks on a saddle they would then go to a page for that particular saddle and you can add options for the size and finish - with prices adjustments as well if you wish.

HTH
    Hamish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macleather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 8:12pm
Thanks again Hamish, I think I'm beginning to see the light. Somehow from the sales description it sounded so easy. I'll play with it using your advice and let you know how it goes.

Alan
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2008 at 8:39pm
No problem, The manual is very good and actually quite readable compared with most similar documents and the forum is also useful.
If you get stuck, then don't worry about asking - plenty, no ALL, of us have had to start from scratch and we're a friendly bunch Big%20smile.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macleather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2008 at 2:41pm
Hamish, Well the light is getting brighter. I've set up products and previewed the page and most is what I'm looking for. I still can't get the text color changes for the Product Name, Price, List etc. I've changed the storefront.css and the headerfooter.css for the proper font changes and nothing works. Do you know whcih stylesheet contains the styles for these items? Is there some sort of listing of where the styles come from for various sections of pc?

Thanks again, maybe a little down the road I'll be able to answer some questions as well.

Alan
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2008 at 2:50pm
Hi Alan,
   A great way to find what style is being used for any particular item on the page is to use Firefox with the Web Developer extension  (Firebug extension is also great).

With that you can examine the CSS used for any element (ctrl + shift + Y) then point the mouse at the element in question - infom appears in a bar at the top, clicking on it opens a style info box.
You can even edit (temporarily) the CSS and see it changing before your very eyes (Ctrl + Shift + E) - You can then save your revised CSS if you wish & FTP it back to your site.
It's very cool & very useful!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macleather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2008 at 4:50pm
O.K., its me again. I hope you don't get too tired of me soon. Those tools for Firefox are great and showed me the elements. However, for the title on the product page it shows H1 and I trace back to the class. I've now changed every H1 I could find for font and color and no change shows. This is also the case for the Category Links. Changed every one I could find and still no change. Do I need to submit a ticket on this?

Thanks,
Alan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic