ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtolbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie
    Posted: 11-June-2012 at 3:32pm
I've been asked to take on an existing Product Cart store. I've used Miva Merchant in the past, but I've never used Product Cart and I don't have a lot of experience with Windows servers. I'm coming from more of a design end, but I do develop WordPress sites and use some PHP. (no ASP) Am I going to have a lot of trouble with this transition? Should I take the job or pass to someone else? One of the first parts of the job will be to update the store software.
Thanks in advance.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 3:48pm
It depends upon whether you need to alter the code.  If the existing store has mods, then in the process of upgrading the store you need to be prepared to carry those mods forward to the upgraded store.  That means identifying the changes and understanding how to apply them to the newer version.  If there are no mods, and assuming you can follow the provided directions, upgrading should not be difficult as it is just a matter of uploading the necessary files.  When you log in to the upgraded control panel, it will prompt you in regard to updating the database.

Generally speaking, we like to have a copy of the store code which will be upgraded out of public view.  So the first step is to copy the "productcart" folder, or whatever it is renamed to (such as store or shop) to something like "productcartdev".  Then get the host to set the folder permissions correctly.  Change the entry in /productcart/includes/productcartfolder.asp to reflect that folder name, and you should now have a working copy that the public does not see and that you can upgrade without interrupting traffic.  Once you have the upgrade completed, flip the folder names and reverse your edit to productcartfolder.asp, and the upgraded store is launched.
vtolbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtolbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 3:54pm
Thanks, Greg. I'm not yet sure how much alteration has been done. I'm assuming there are consultants for hire if I need them, right? Is there a list of those? Are you one?
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 3:58pm
There is a list of developers here:

We are very busy at the moment and would have to work an upgrade into our schedule.  You are welcome to contact me directly and I'll fill you in on expectations.
vtolbert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vtolbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2012 at 4:01pm
Thanks so much!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic