ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

# of products/lines in an order

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: # of products/lines in an order
    Posted: 31-May-2012 at 7:15pm
Is there anything we can do about the 99-item or 100-item limit?

It really makes some of our larger customers angry -- especially when they don't notice they are close to the limit, they add a few more items from one page, and BOOM their cart is broken because they are now at 108 items (individual lines in the cart -- I don't mean 108 of one item).

We have 2 solutions in place, but neither works perfectly:

* In the error message that is displayed when you go over the limit, we suggest breaking their order into 2 orders and putting in a comment asking us to combine your orders into one box for shipping. But if/when their cart is already broken, it's a bit too late for that.

* We only display 10 items per page, to reduce the chances that you'll add a whole bunch of products with one "Add" click, pushing it too far over the limit.  But many customers ask us to display more than 10 at a time with out having to make them click "View All" -- because their connection speed can easily handle more than 10, but not necessarily "All".
~~ R&T systems director
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 7:45pm
Yes, set a higher limit :-)   It's in the settings somewhere.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 7:47pm
It's in Settings > Store Settings
Polly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 8:21pm
We tried upping it past the 100-product recommendation in our test environment before (but not recently) and it didn't work. It says:
This is the maximum number of different products your customers will be able to purchase at one time, regardless of the quantity ordered for each product. In order to limit the amount of server resources used for a user session, the number is structurally limited to 100 (i.e. 100 different products added to the shopping cart). Consult the User Guide for more information.

It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the exact results. It lets you SAVE a larger number (like 200) but if I remember correctly our test orders started getting weird, I just don't remember in what way.  That "structurally limited" part is what worries me...
~~ R&T systems director
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2012 at 8:39pm
Ah yes, See http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/developers/cartcontent for a description and a solution.
Polly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 12:21pm
oh my goodness Ouch ... I can't believe i never saw your final reply to this until now!!!!

This has been one of our biggest problems -- we've lost some of our best/biggest customers over this!!!!!  We'll try editing those arrays right away.  If this works, it could allow us to stay with Product Cart.

We have instructions built into the error message, telling them how to submit 2 separate (smaller) orders and put a note in the comments section asking us to combine them and ship them together ... but that doesn't console a business customer who has spent a few hours carefully putting together an order, and then it crashes because they just added 20 colors of one bead, pushing it well over the 100-item limit and eating their cart.
~~ R&T systems director
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 1:27pm
Actually, this is the article you need to see for instructions on increasing the size of the cart array:

My team and I are stress testing this to see just how high it can be raised to, but somewhere between 200 and 500 is probably safe. We're trying to push it to 1000.
Polly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 1:35pm
Thanks! We'll be testing out 200-300 for sure this week, and hopefully making it live asap!
~~ R&T systems director
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2012 at 1:42pm
Our client had us set it to 200.  His observation is that when an order is placed with a high number of items in the array, there is a noticeable delay in checkout-related processes that could confuse the shopper into believing that the script was hanging.  His comment to me was that much beyond 200 might be an issue.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2012 at 11:48pm
So far on our stress testing, we've carried the cart array to 500 items without issue. Our goal is to see if we can actually hit 1000.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic