ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Only load OPC style sheet(s) at checkout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Only load OPC style sheet(s) at checkout
    Posted: 10-July-2010 at 10:53pm
IMHO, for optimization purposes alone, the style sheet(s) for one page checkout should only be loaded when one is checking out -- else it's just extra stuff being loaded for no purpose.

What's more, when styling the OPC to use a two column layout with order details on the right, there is more tweaking to do than the wiki suggests, namely with modifying layout issues with pcMain and pcMainArea08-PC -- assuming one needs to get rid of navigation columns to make room for this.

If Instr(LCase(request.servervariables("SCRIPT_NAME")),"onepagecheckout.asp") > 0 Then
     user_agent = request.servervariables("HTTP_USER_AGENT")
     if Instr(ucase(user_agent),"CHROME")>0 then
          %>
         <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="onepagecheckout.css" />
         <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="onepagecheckoutGoogle.css" />
     <% else %>
          <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="onepagecheckout.css" />
     <% end if %>
<% end if %>
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2010 at 1:33am
Hi Sean,

Thanks for posting this.

The impact on page loading time is negligible in our opinion (it's just a small CSS file).

Can you clarify the issue with the WIKI article? What we posted there is indeed what we do when we switch to the two-column layout. If there is something missing, let us know and we can certainly update it.

massimo
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-July-2010 at 2:13am
IHMO, on principle alone there is no reason to include the OPC style sheet(s) except for when they are needed. This causes a lookup as well as extra CSS code (no matter how small). It's just not pro.

On the other hand, not a big deal to add the condition I mentioned, right? Why not just do it?

As for the wiki, I'll try to find a moment to do this on an OTB build and report back. In a nutshell, the issue that I've encountered is that the pcMain and pcMainArea08-PC areas in the OPC need more width than can be alloted for the rest of the site, plus the left margin that makes room for the left navigation needs to be eliminated in the OPC. As the style sheets for the OPC are called dynamically and later than other style sheets normally are, I've taken to adding them to the OPC style sheet and them dynamically including them only when they are called for as described above.

I really appreciate that you took our advise to add the order details to the right as it really is a much better layout -- esp. as I'm of the opinion that once in checkout, the most other navigation is just a distraction and should be eliminated to keep focus on this most wanted response.

I'll get back to you with more as time allows (yeah, right? I can hear the chuckling). But I'm getting more and more heat to improve load time and I'm seeing a lot of opportunity for that and hope to have something written up a week or two from now.

Edited by Sean@WMS - 11-July-2010 at 2:14am
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2010 at 1:31pm
I recently started playing with the 2 column layout for OPC and agree it is the way to go. It just seems to flow better. I just got rid of side navigation to make room because its unnecessary once a customer is in checkout.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic