Forum Description: All topics concerning the use of the Apparel Add-on
URL: https://forum.productcart.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2894
Printed Date: 27-April-2024 at 7:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Reward points question
Posted By: Carebear
Subject: Reward points question
Date Posted: 22-July-2009 at 4:46pm
I have read that the reward points can only be applied to a parent product. I am not sure I understand how this works. If I have product X and the customer must choose a size one is expensive and one is cheap, doesn't this just award the points based on the price? So wouldn't that be assigning reward points to the sub products?Or am I missing something?

Replies:
Date Posted: 18-August-2009 at 7:52pm
HELLO??? Anyone there? Please help?

Posted By: ProductCart
Date Posted: 18-August-2009 at 9:53pm
Hi Carebear: this is currently a limitation in the software. Reward Points are set at the parent product level, not at the sub-product level (Apparel Add-on).

-------------
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart http://www.productcart.com" rel="nofollow - shopping cart software

Date Posted: 19-August-2009 at 2:36pm
but what if the parent product is assigned a zero price and the options add onto the price? does this mean I cannot use the reward points at all???

Date Posted: 25-August-2009 at 11:34am
See above question

?????????

Date Posted: 03-September-2009 at 2:00pm
Please help me out here. see above about zero priced parent product.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 04-September-2009 at 1:16pm
Hi Carebare,

Yes, it means you would not be able to offer for an apparel product with parent product price of $0 without significant customization to the reward points logic in the application.

There are some tallented certified developers who could customize your cart to do this, though.

Date Posted: 05-September-2009 at 4:03pm
Does Version 4 fix this? I am not sure I want to hire out customization if it will be corrected in the update.

Posted By: Greg Dinger
Date Posted: 05-September-2009 at 5:36pm
I want to be careful here that I don't come off sounding like I'm expressing the wrong tone, so please don't take my comments harshly.

As a developer, I worry when non-existing features (or shortcomings in features) are looked upon as a bug, or that introduction of such a feature would be looked upon as a correction.  Neither such case would be a fair assessment of some situations.

There are features that PC does not include, intentionally, and possibly with great reluctance and frustraton on the part of the development team.  This frequently is due to great complications that such features might involve. 

There are also features in PC that simply are not fully rounded out, and such would be the case with the reward points stuff.  It's a partial solution, and I can think of one other aspect that may be as important as what you raise that is not the best possible implementation.  In the end, sometimes choices have to be made in terms or prioritizing the level of effort to do something.

For example there is a functionality difference in the Highslide feature in the standard versus apparel versions of the code.  Pity, but true, and easily understood from a technical perspective.  Tough to accept as a user, but so be it.  It is what it is.

In the case of your request, it's probably a similar situation.  It's a real challenge to support some features when dealing with subproducts.   Whether or not such a feature enhancement is planned in V4, I'm not sure that characterizing such an effort as a correction fairly describes such an activity. 

It it were a bug, so to speak, that might be fair to refer to it as a correction.  Unfortunately, being fairly familliar with portions of the apparel mod, I can appreciate the difficulty that it may be to fulfill your request - just as EI had to make compromises on how they implemented Highslide.

If EI isn't able to commit to this for V4, you may want to check the certified developers to see who has the time and familiarity with those aspects of the code (reward points and subproducts, individually and as a whole).

Hope this helps.

-------------
GreyBeard Design Group

Certified ProductCart Developer

Web Design/Development/Hosting

http://tinyurl.com/5c8t4t" rel="nofollow - Add-Ons & Custom Code |

Date Posted: 14-September-2009 at 10:49am
Hi. I appreciate what you are saying. As a developer you can understand the inner workings better than I can. However, as a consumer of this cart, to me if an Add-On negates the benefits of the base product, that is a bug and needs correcting. I can guarantee I am not the only consumer to feel this way. I am especially frustrated that it is not spelled out to the consumer in a clear way that the features that are being so heavily marketed for the base product are not going to work with the add-on. So I don't find this out until I am already financially invested beyond the point of dumping and moving on to another cart.

Posted By: TrekLightGear
Date Posted: 14-September-2009 at 4:24pm
I started another thread regarding the cross-selling and bundle features but the issue here is the same and I have to agree with Carebear's point.  Maybe bug isn't the right technical term, but I know that I purchased the Apparel Add-on with 100% certainty that it was exactly that, an 'Add-On'.  This is not a third-party add-on we're talking about, it's developed by EI and there's absolutely no reason for an end user to assume that an add-on removes any of the important features of the original product, if it breaks those features then it's either a bug or it should be a heavily advertised caveat when the add-on is sold.   I understand that the problem is explained once you dig deep into the Wiki, but obviously that's not where most people are going to find out about the problem until it's too late.

As far as I'm concerned unless this is fixed (please?) every person who is even considering Product Cart with the Apparel Add-on should be presented with something that says 'Pros: The Apparel Add-On rocks! Cons: You will lose some of the best e-commerce features of Product Cart by using it'.

As Carebear said, customers who choose PC invest a huge amount of money to develop their site based on the features advertised for the base product and the add-ons. My marketing plan included introducing product bundles in the second half of this year, to find out that I can't actually do that with PC is extremely disappointing and unexpected.

-------------
Seth Haber

Posted By: ProductCart
Date Posted: 14-September-2009 at 4:34pm
We are looking to extend some of the functionality. Not all of the functionality available at the parent-product level can be extended at the sub-product level. There are interface issues and technical issues. Some of it, however, certainly can be extended (e.g. Reward Points).

If you were sitting at our desks, you would realize that we receive a pretty incredible amount of requests every single day. Most sensible requests. Most smart features or useful enhancements. That's not the issue. The issue is that there are indeed only 24 hours in a day, although we try to stretch them as much as possible

We'll see over the next couple of days what we can squeeze into v4.

Cheers,

The Early Impact Team

-------------
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart http://www.productcart.com" rel="nofollow - shopping cart software

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 15-September-2009 at 12:41am

Thought I might chime in here.

I am definitely sympathetic to both the end-user and developer sides on this. From the end-user side here, it is rather counter-intuitive that "upgrading" to apparel add-on would "downgrade" some features of the standard version; however, the programming complexities are real, and a shopping cart company has to at least meet the needs of the larger majority of merchants and can't possibly meet the needs of everyone while doing that. It's not uncommon for a merchant to think that "zillions of other folks" must want the same functionality, when that isn't really true at all in the vast pool of merchants using any given application, including ProductCart.

For example only two people here are really interested in this out of thousands of ProductCart merchants. I'm sure there are probably others who would be interested if they asserted themselves, but there are many other modifications EI is working on in version 4 that address boarder concerns.

That being said, EI sees worth possibly working this into version 4.

If at least 5 merchants PM me with an interest for us to develolp a mod for this for version 3.51, then well build the mod. However, just as EI says, there is only so much time in a day, and even while we are buring the midnight oil, we couldn't probably have this available as a mod until probably mid November, 2009 or later.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.04 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2021 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net