ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Product cart very slow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Product cart very slow
    Posted: 09-December-2008 at 9:18pm

Hi,

I have been having a problem with product cart being very slow when in the cart.  It is also causing grief for customers.  

Is there anything I can do to check why this is occuring?  I do not even know where to start.

John

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-December-2008 at 9:40pm
Hi John,
     By far the commonest cause of this is server issues, so a good starting point is your ISP. It could be either server, the one with the asp files or, if you use an sql database, the server holding the database.
Is it permanently slow - or varies?
Other things to consider - what's changed, have you updated anything, software, products, category structure etc that coincide with the slow-down.

RUOnTheNet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUOnTheNet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2008 at 5:31am
We just launched our first PC cart at the beginning of December.   We are/were also experiencing slow load times - particularly with the PC cart's home page.   

We checked our connectivity because we are running an ms-sql  affiliate program (external) and had some connectivity issues, but also had longer (up to 30 second ) connection time with the store dbase - in Access form.

But since we had the problems with only the pages that connected to a dbase (access and mssql) we were able to determine it was not the ISP, but database connectivity issues.

What I'd suggest is to look at the server's  Application Pools; and iff possible, ask your ISP if  you can have a dedicated application pool for the PC resources.  (in a simple terminology: this will isolate the pool of resources used for accessing the PC  databases and separate them from anyone else or other web applications that use their own resources to run their applications, from the same pool).  

And, to improve overall net performance, request a dedicated IP address. It should cost only $2-5 per month.  This will assist in making sure your site's IP and your server's resources are allocated to your site.    We are (currently) setting up a  ISP/hosting company, and  based on our work with PC will use this as a ecommerce  hosting company.  Ping me if you cannot get this resolved and we can offer a hosting plan for the PC on our new platform.
Alan,
www.AreYouOnTheNet.com
Internet Sales, Marketing & Affiliate Program Management
intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2008 at 4:42pm
I started offering productcart hosting services for the reasons you stated.

All but one of my productcart customers host with me now. It makes life so much easier and I can address any issues they have instantly.

It's often very difficult asking a client to approach their ISP to make server changes because they usually don't have the technical expertise. Also their ISP's will only talk to their own customer and so it goes on....

It is good to host with a company that knows productcart and has all the components loaded on the server for you (upload/resize etc). I notice that you and RUONthenet are both in Canada and whilst hosting is not country specific it may be a good solution to your problem.

Nigel

Edited by intour - 16-December-2008 at 4:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic