ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Product Option Price Display

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Product Option Price Display
    Posted: 11-January-2013 at 2:05pm
Hi People
I don't like the way the product option prices are displayed when there is an extra charge for that option.  I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion to change the way the adder price is shown on the product page.  The way it is shown now is dumb.  When there are two or more options, the extra charge amount doesn't show up in the option drop downs until the last option is selected and even then, the amount shown is the combined extra charges for all the previously selected options, rather that what the adder is for just that one option group. I don't mind that the final price doesn't change until the last option is selected, it is the individual extra charges that I want to see for each option group. 

Here is an example page: http://www.modernclassics.com/store/pc/Le-Corbusier-LC3-Grande-Loveseat-Reproduction-10p11.htm

Maybe there is somewhere in the forum that has covered this, or if anyone has created a modifcation or can tell me where this information can be seen in the code.  I know the information is in the data base, because we enter on the product option page...

Thanks
Curt 
Curt
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 2:11pm
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 2:32pm
Hi Greg
Yes, I did see that forum post.  We have two and three product option groups on a single product.  And each option can be an extra charge.  But, the extra price on one option selected is not dependent on the previous options selected.  Seems easy to fix, but what do I know
Curt
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 3:06pm
I realize that since every Sub Product is it's own record in the database, the actual price isn't available until the final Option Attribute is known. Only then do we know the final Sub Product Price. In my case, if the Customer selects Red Leather in the top Option Group, but nothing after that... the Price cannot be displayed (since we don't know what the Customer will select for the Feather Top or the Leg)

However, the situation I describe is different.  Each product option adder price is independent of the other.  So I want the adder price to be displayed in the drop down box for each separate option.  The final price is shown after all the options are selected , is just fine.  But along the way, I want the customer to know that the premium leather is extra $$, and the legs are extra $$, and the feathers are extra $$, all information I put in the option box in the admin panel.  The final price is the summation of the three options, which is then displayed.  But the way it is now, the final extra $$ is summed on the last option display drop down.  The customer is left scratching their head, wondering why the extra legs cost so much more, when it is the premium leather that made the price go up.

PC has been this way forever, doesn't make it a good way to do it.  How do I solve?
Curt
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 3:06pm

what if one simply takes away the options prices and you rely upon when one clicks, the final price display is updated?

avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 5:54pm
Well, I would like to show the visitor that a particular choice costs more.  For example, we have 15 leather colors, only 5 of them are premium.  So when the visitor does the drop down to look at colors, these see that some are addtional prices.
Curt
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 7:41pm
Hi,  It sounds like what you are after is much better matched by a BTO product setup, where the the individual "components" of a product have a price and are shown. As a BTO product the premium leathers would be shown with their price difference individually as would any other component/element influencing the price. Give it a try on one of our demo stores. 
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 7:44pm
Hmm, don't know if I can handle the switching costs.  Is this an add-on, or all new install?

Curt
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 8:53pm
Hi,  It's an upgrade. See https://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/buy-productcart.asp for pricing. I would test it out on a demo store if I were you and see what you think. One difference is that in Apparel every final product has a single specific SKU, in BTO the final product is a collection of parts, (Seat / Leather / Filling / Feet in this case). I suspect that is not a major issue though as items like this are more often than not actuallyy built (or assembled) to order rather than being held in stock.  
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2013 at 9:48pm
Curt asked me to weigh in on this.

The way apparel products are handled vis a vis sub-products (where each sub-product is the combination of options in one "bucket" as it were), and the additional price for that combination of options is stored in the sub-product record, I don't see where it's really possible to break down what each individual option is adding to the over-all price ... through I do see the confusion this causes for the user.

It seems to be that it wouldn't be too terribly challenging to do this as a merchant-specific customization IF it were the case that the additional price for any given option could be pulled from the options in the applicable option groups. The potential problem here is that this would mean that, say, Option Group A, option 1 would always have the same additional cost no matter which apparel product used it. For example, every product that had the price sensitive option of "Tall Feet" would always have to add the same price for that option. This would make it the same as non-apparel products with options that change price (at least in terms of the display in the drop down selects).

The JavaScript here is pretty complex, though, so I don't see it as something simple to accomplish ... but nothing near as expensive and complicated as upgrading to BTO and then having to reconfigure all of the products this would apply to. However, putting that aside, it does seem to me that these products would be nicely suited for the BTO version.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic