ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Product Option Price Display

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2013 at 2:04am
Hello - I guess I must be really missing something here...when I go to a product options for a product in the admin panel, I enter in for each attribute, a price and a wholesale price.  If I only have one option group for a product, then this number appears on the frontend product page "add - $98" - very clear and nice.  This number is coming from this product option page in the admin.  If there are two option groups for a product, you can specify price for each attribute too.  BUT, when you go to the product page, both those numbers are added together and only shown on the second option group.
Quote It seems to be that it wouldn't be too terribly challenging to do this as a merchant-specific customization IF it were the case that the additional price for any given option could be pulled from the options in the applicable option groups.
  So Sean, the additional price for any given option is there in the setup for each product, it just needs to be shown alongside each attribute with an additional price value, in each option group, and not be summarized in the last option group, but added to the base price once all the options are selected.

Upgrading to BTO is not going to happen for me.
Thanks
Curt
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2013 at 2:08pm
Hi Curt,

Sorry: long week. I didn't get that quite right.

The prices set at the Option Attribute level (and stored in the options_optionsGroups table) can be used to set pricing on sub-products (stored in the products table) when sub-products are batch generated, they are not actually used for anything else -- not the display of options on the product page nor the calculation of price. Those two things come from the sub-products.

Here's a little test you can do: Change the price of an Option Attribute assigned to one of these apparel products. View the product page, and you'll see no change. Now change the pricing for a sub-product of that product, view the product page, and you will see the change.

So, what would need to be done is to pull the price of the Option Attribute for apparel products (options_optionsGroups.price) -- as it is done for standard products -- to appear in the display of option items, but leave the rest of the price calculation and display as they are handled on apparel products (standard products don't dynamically change the price when price sensitive options are selected). 

In theory this sounds pretty simple. However, in practice there is a labyrinth of JavaScript to sort through to do it.
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2013 at 3:54pm
Yes, Sean, you got it now!
Put the price of the Option Attribute in the display of the option items.
Simple concept.
Someone want to PM a quote for this?
Thanks!
Curt
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-January-2013 at 5:08pm
Thanks to Sean at WMS for solving this problem!
Here is what the page now looks like:
http://www.modernclassics.com/store/pc/Le-Corbusier-LC3-Grande-Loveseat-Reproduction-5p11.htm

You can see the base price, then when you look at each option, you can see how much that will add to the price.  Then, when the final option is selected, the Price as Configured is updated and turns to green.

This makes me very happy, and I think the site visitors will finally understand that how the option pricing works!  See Sean for help on this, meanwhile, to the folks at ProductCart, this is a good solution.

Best

Curt
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2013 at 4:15pm
It might be that I'm on the mobile site, but this product looks how you described in your earlier post. It appears premium leather is a $250 up charge, while feather pillow is $180. However, the individual dropdowns show no price. Instead, the price of the first two options is summed and displayed in the third option dropdown.
http://www.modernclassics.com/store/m/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=19&idcategory=36
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2013 at 7:11pm
Hi Brett
Yes, I haven't made the change to the mobile site, in fact, didnt even occur to me.  So thanks for the heads up.  (However, the mobile version shows how goofy the dollars are shown under the standard apparel plug-in). 
We are working to make this work when a visitor is a wholesale account too. 
Thanks

Curt
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2013 at 11:10pm
I can't imagine it being a very difficult change. Seems like you could leave the logic the same and just show the per item prices in the drop down. I may be overlooking something though.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2013 at 12:15am
Not sure what you are referring to exactly, Brett.

Switching up the display this way in general is not trivial. There's a fair deal of server-side logic and client-side logic to pick through and CSS to add to do this elegantly.

Doing it again for the mobi version is simple enough, though. Most all of the code to change is the same.

I have it demoed on both the full and mobi version of our infamous Ducky demo site now, including display for Wholesale & Customer Pricing Category users:

The JavaScript for Apparel products is quite a labyrinth. Turns out handling this issue wasn't so bad as I was fearing from experience modifying other display options here, though.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2013 at 1:22am
I was referring to, on the option drop down, inserting the prices of the options from the config, and then leaving all of the logic the same. So just changing the name of the options, and not the way prices are added. So where it says "Premium Leather", changing that to for example, "Premium Leather (+$250)", and then leaving everything else the same. That way, prices are calculated the same, but the customer can see how much each option costs.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2013 at 2:35am
Hi Brett.

On the surface, it would seem that simple (I expect that's what Curt was thinking/hoping).

But these innerHTML's are rewritten on the fly on APP product pages. 

It's not trivial to modify the server-side and client side code here and to balance the CSS to do this.

I've had a good deal of experience working with changing up the display of APP product pages. The real kicker for me was the "Gap.com Style Color/Size Selectors" project I've been working on. Ultimately, there was no way to edit the PC code gracefully here, so I added a "remote control" layer over it that let's PC do it's thing and then "re-visualizes" it on a display layer. Here's an example with just the size part of it:

Haven't had time or demand to get back to the color option part of it yet, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic