ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Put password timeout settings in Control Panel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWClips Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Put password timeout settings in Control Panel
    Posted: 03-April-2015 at 3:51pm
The current timeout for the password is very short (and it doesn't seem to recognize things like mapping import fields as "activity!").  I think having the ability to change the logout time would be very helpful.  I have both a home and a work office, and both are private.  I can see how a short logout may be prudent where others can use your computers, but I'm wasting a lot of time logging back in over and over just because I flipped over to a spreadsheet to make a change or to PhotoShop to get an image.  I'm thinking this setting could reside in the Control Panel, maybe under Settings > Advanced Settings.

I know that some have created scripts to get around this, but I'd prefer to have these type of things be included.
~ Craig B.
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2015 at 2:21am
I haven't really seen this included in any major platforms, and I kind of imagine that if it were very important / commonly requested, it would be more common than it is. However, I can certainly see the benefit.

Why not create a small script to implement this feature? If you do happen to build it, please post here as I'd be interested to see how you've chosen to approach it!

Edited by Brett - 14-April-2015 at 2:21am
NWClips Craig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWClips Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 2:56pm
Greg Dinger (in these forums) already has one, but I just don't see why we have to do that.  As for other platforms, all of the others that I've used leave you logged in for MUCH longer.  I just went downstairs to let the dog out, he did his business, came back in and I was already logged out.  Ridiculously short...
~ Craig B.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 3:49pm

Craig - a reason that you may have a short session timeout is because of the host you are located at.

The standard ASP session timeout is 20 minutes from the last mouse or other such activity that references that browser.  If you are getting less than that, and find it unreasonable, then that is the price you pay for saving money on a host that bites.

And really man, mine is all of $35 bucks.  Sean's is free.  Is it really that big a deal to achieve some level of efficiency?

Edited by Greg Dinger - 15-April-2015 at 8:06pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWClips Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 4:37pm
My timeout is FAR shorter than 20 minutes.  Haven't really timed it yet, but I was just assigning categories, had a short phone call and had to log in again.  Five minutes max.

As for changing or buying ANYTHING more than I already have, it's not my call.  Everything will get moved (maybe soon), but I have to wait until my friend/customer is ready to do it.
~ Craig B.
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 5:56pm
The only time that ProductCart itself ends a session are:

- when a customer logs out
- when they complete the checkout process

All other session variables are controlled by the server. Here is a list of things to check/consider that could be causing this:

If you're losing your session earlier than 20 minutes, the most likely reason is some sort of "config" file on the server. It could be a "web.config" file or a "global.asa" file; but your hosting company should be able to say for sure what it is.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWClips Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 6:13pm
This may also be an issue, but the timeout that I've been hampered by is the one for the PC Control Panel while I'm still setting up the website.  We are about to test as if we are customers, but haven't done that yet.

I'm still going to look for a config file though.

Thanks for the reply.
~ Craig B.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 7:09pm
An overloaded or improperly configured server can result in frequent application pool recycling.  When the pool recycles, you will get logged out of the admin, and shoppers lose their cart contents. 
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 7:43pm
NWClips Craig - do you have an active ProductCart support plan?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NWClips Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2015 at 9:01pm
@Brett - It just expired on Sunday (4/12) after the initial period included in the price of the cart software.  Of the two actual items I submitted tickets for, one was fixed by clicking a box I was initially told (pre-sale) I would not need if I used a Bootstrap theme.  The second one apparently does not have a resolution yet (the ability to bulk import formatted HTML to the Product Layout - Tabs Area field) which means having to do a lot of manual copying and pasting for each product.

I typically don't bother tech. support with things that are simply annoying like this issue or those unnecessary (IMO) extra confirmation boxes that pop up at bizarre times when setting up cross-selling relationships or importing/exporting.  I was in tech. support for several years and led a team that rarely had time for those types of things which is why I put these into the "Suggestions" forum.

Whenever I run into something that obviously isn't working as expected (exporting category information for a product for example) I tend to first search the KB's and community forum for a resolution then try and figure out why, if I have enough time, or at least find a work-around.  After that I post or send my findings so the tech. support staff and/or other users can know.

While researching 136 shopping carts, most were rejected if they couldn't be moved from host to host, but one requirement I had was a community forum.  What I didn't realize is how few people actually post here.  I also missed the fact that there's no way to submit suspected minor bugs other than submitting a ticket (which you need to have a support plan for and, like everything else, my friend/customer is trying to avoid unless it really becomes necessary) or posting here.  

Another example:  When working with a lot of products sequentially from the PC Control Panel, you can "Modify the next product in this category" after you save the current product, except that it doesn't use the category that you used on the locate/search screen so you may or may not get the next product.  My guess is that it uses the next product from the first category the current product is part of instead.  That means for each product you need to first perform a search (i.e., locate it), select it, modify it, then do the whole procedure again.  This is a huge time waster especially since these changes can't be done with a bulk import...  All of that said, I still consider this a "Suggestion" not something I should have to create a support ticket for.

Edited by NWClips Craig - 15-April-2015 at 9:04pm
~ Craig B.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic