ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Redirecting Product Page?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lindsay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redirecting Product Page?
    Posted: 12-September-2013 at 12:25pm

Say I have a product X, with 10 sub products, x1, x2, x3, x4, etc. I decide to set product X as not-for-sale, remove subproducts, and turn each subproduct into an individual top-level products, listed separately in my store. (I'm thinking thumbnails in the search results communicate more clearly to a customer that the product has many color options, than does anything I can put on the product page or even tag the thumbnail with)

I don't want to just set original product X to inactive or not-for-sale, because the Product X is a popular landing page.... so what to do?

If I create a category:  "previous subproducts of Product X"  can I do a server-level redirect to permanently redirect traffic going to "viewPrd.asp?idproduct=X" to Category:"previous subproducts of Product X"?

I've never tried redirecting a productcart page and wanted to check before trying and potentially sending our customers all directions.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2013 at 5:54pm
If you server has the URL Rewrite snap-in for IIS running, you could add the following rule to the <rewrite><rules> node of your web.config file:
                <rule name="ProductX Redirect" stopProcessing="true">
                    <match url="^viewprd.asp" />
                    <conditions>
                        <add input="{QUERY_STRING}" pattern="idproduct=X" />
                    </conditions>
                    <action type="Redirect" url="viewcategories.asp?idcategory=Y" appendQueryString="false" />
                </rule>
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic