ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sending Email and Google Apps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcrabtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sending Email and Google Apps
    Posted: 16-September-2011 at 3:33pm
Hi,

I'm having an issue with my email settings.

I'm using google apps for my email and I can send and receive email just fine outside of the site.

When I try to set up CDOSYS or CDO I repeatedly get either a "The transport failed to connect to the server" error. I've also tried "localhost" with no luck.

I believe this has something to do with Googles Authentication requirements:
smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

Specifically the "Use STARTTLS" requirement. There is no Use STARTTLS or Use Secure Connection option in the email settings, nor have I been able to find that setting in sendmail.asp.

I've searched the forum and all the wiki docs with no luck. Does anyone know how I can make this work?

Edited by bcrabtree - 16-September-2011 at 3:34pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2011 at 3:38pm
Brian - what host are you dealing with here?
bcrabtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcrabtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2011 at 3:42pm
I'm now on HostGator

Was on GoDaddy which was a nightmare, but at least I could send emails...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2011 at 3:51pm
I'm not sure how to help other than the following.  I've just been through a similara scenario on our own servers.  Our solution was to create (which in our environment is very easy) a subdoman such as orders.domainname.com.  then I create an e-mail account confirmations@orders.domainname.com.  That e-mail account is used as the FROM address as well as the SMTP AUTH address. 

In addition, our mail server is heavily locked down to prevent spam so we had to mess with the parameters sent to the sendmail command on the contact.asp page.  you may or may not run into this particular issue.

If the above does not help, I've gone as far as I can here in the forum, and would use this as an illustration of yet another reason to host with someone who knows the application.  http://www.earlyimpact.com/productcart/productcart-hosting.asp
bcrabtree View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcrabtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2011 at 3:54pm
ok thanks, i'll look into that.

cheers.
avalight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avalight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2011 at 10:35pm
Anybody have any updated information on the google apps email system and productcart.?
Curt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-December-2011 at 10:51pm
Curt - my experience has been as follows.  Our servers enforce strong restrictions which are designed to avoid sites from being used to relay spam, and thus the mail servers being flagged as spam sources.  One such restriction is that SMTP authentication must be active, and "from mail" account must match "SMTP AUTH" account.  It's been my experience that we cannot seem to authenticate against a Google account.  As such, for those sites whose mail is hosted at Google, we simply set up a subdomain such as confirmations.yourdomain.com, and an account called orders@confirmations.yourdomain.com.  that seems to work reliably.

With that said, what's your issue?
shevapippo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shevapippo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2011 at 5:13am
same problem here. My email is set up wiith Gmail App however my site is hosted by GoDaddy. I would like to send emails in Product Cart using smtp.gmail.com (with usr and ps) but I can't. I also tried ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM, in this case when I test in Product cart it tells me the email was sent but i don't receive it. I also did this (suggested by a friend) but it didn't work.
Download includes/sendmail.asp
change

Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 25

Change port “25” to “465”

-          find:

Flds( "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 1

-          change “1” to “2”.

-          Add right below codeline:

Flds( "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpusessl ") = True

Any chance I will ever be able to stop paying for Godaddy email accounts? These days godaddy email works poorly, I get the registration email then hours later I get (if i'm lucky) the email with the order. Very hard to work like this. 

Gianluca

macleather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macleather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2011 at 12:50pm
Hi There,

We use Google Apps mail with no problems. We host with Greg Dinger of Greybeard and I'm not sure if this only works on his servers but maybe worth a try. Here are the setting we use:

shevapippo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shevapippo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2011 at 1:15pm
Actually my bad, now with the aspmx server everything works fine - apologies for the posting it seems like it needed some time to register the settings but now all works (I am using CDOSYS)
Gianluca
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic