ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SSL Certificate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vppaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SSL Certificate
    Posted: 17-April-2006 at 6:00am
I am a newbie and need help with my cart. What kind of Certificates are you guys using?
I get some free ones from my web host (IX webhosting). They have Comodo SSl,Shared SSL, Permanent Certificate or a Temporary Certificate. I guess that I would use a permanent certificate which I would have to go to Thawte, VeriSign or maybe Godaddy to get the Cert. Godaddy seems to have the cheapest ones starting at under 20.00 a year for their Turbo SSl. and 80.00 for their High Assurance SSL. I know that the higher the certificate the higher the verification but what does that mean to the people that will purchase items on my site?
One other question what about insurance for merchant accounts?
Paul
cptkoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptkoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2006 at 1:58pm

Your better of with your own cert although in all fairness as long as most people see a little padlock symbol somewhere they wont know the difference between your cert and soneone elses.

Likewise they wont know the difference between 56bit and 128.

Thawte also do a low assurance cert now.

Ive not seen specific insurance for merchant accounts, your business insurance may have an add on. The ownes is on you to ensure that the card is valid and the person placing the order is the owner. Any insurance would be invalid if you didnt cover this anyway.

"I need a hug, I need love, I need fun, I want to feel happy. Thats the world I want to live in!"
vppaul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vppaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 4:59am
Thank you cptkoi for the info!
I have been looking at Godaddy.com for SSL and at ONLY $18 a year they have -
"Our Turbo SSL™ Certificate protects your transactions and customer data with powerful 256-bit encryption, live 24/7 support, a $1,000 customer warranty and more. Plus your certificate will be issued within minutes so you can secure your site immediately. Effective, affordable security is just a click away!"
They also have a High-Assurance certificate for $79 a year.
Any Ideas? Anybody using these certs?
cptkoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cptkoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2006 at 5:32am

I have heard of them although never used them.

We resell thawte so I am kinda biased, although that does look like a good deal. At that price you havent got much to loose!

"I need a hug, I need love, I need fun, I want to feel happy. Thats the world I want to live in!"
netprofits View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote netprofits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2006 at 4:57pm
We have used GoDaddy and Comodo SSL certificates and both have worked fine. The only issue we have had with GoDaddy is that if your domain name is using their privacy option, sometimes you don't get the email after you purchase the SSL certificate. You need to reply to this email in order for the SSL certificate to be verified. If you have this problem you can contact their support and they should be able to help you.
NetProfits Internet Consulting

Certified ProductCart Developer

Our Site
amgqmp1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amgqmp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2006 at 5:55pm
I've been using a GeoTrust SSL cert. for a number of years now...it's <$200 year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic