ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Suggestions on how to organize photos for upload?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions on how to organize photos for upload?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions on how to organize photos for upload?
    Posted: 24-November-2008 at 6:21am
I have a new issue.

I have a spreadsheet created with over 800 products.  I also have the images for each product in a folder on my local C:

The problem is, the image names do not correspond with the appropriate product SKU's.

I have already resized all the images, and the only thing that needs to be done before I upload them is to somehow assign them properly to the correct SKU in the spreadsheet.

What I have been doing thus far is manually going through the images - finding the appropriate product in the Spreadsheet, and renaming the Image the same as the corresponding SKU number.

I have to figure something else out, because I have only been able to make changes on 10 products in the last 15 minutes, and there is over 800 products total.

Any suggestion on what I should do?

Please advise..
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2008 at 10:05am
Yes, I have an idea.  Recruit the client to help - with the explanation that frankly this is the penalty of running a store without image naming conventions.  I cannot think of another way - it will simply be slow and tedious work without personal knowledge of the products.  The best case is if you are sitting next to each other and they can identify each product while you scroll through the spreadsheet looking for the name they just uttered.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2008 at 12:13pm
Hi,
  It will still be tedious, but a faster method would be to work the other way round I believe, if it's you that ends up doing it and if you can recognise all the images.
i.e. Take each image in the order they come and look through the spreadsheet or the match.
P'haps move them to another directory as you rename them as well.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2008 at 12:23pm
That's a good point Hamish.  When I have a lot of images or other assets to deal with, I like to have a "completed" folder where I can move such items to.  That makes it a lot easier to find the appropriate image as the list of outstanding files becomes shorter.  I'd still encourage the client to help though - they will likely be far more familliar with the images, depending upon the nature of the products.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2008 at 1:49pm
Hi Greg,
  Indeed, I've never had enough detailed product knowledge to ID each photo, unless of course they have useful descriptive names which is pretty rare. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic