ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Displaying all products even in Sub Categories

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palagrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Displaying all products even in Sub Categories
    Posted: 29-January-2009 at 11:02am
Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up Product Cart, and one part of my brief is to be able to display all products in a root category - even if they're in a sub category.

For example:

Root |
      -> Category A
                   |
                    -> Product A
                    -> Product B
                    -> Product C
      -> Category B
                   |
                    -> Product D
                    -> Product E

Displaying the Root category would show products A - E, while showing either Category A or B would only show the products that are in that category...

I can't seem to find any way of doing this in the settings - do I need to hack this about myself?

Many thanks,
Craig
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 11:25am
Could you give us the context of this please?  Are you talking about the category navigation generator?
palagrim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palagrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 11:30am
Hi Greg,

I'm referring to the pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=xxx page. I need it to display all products from all sub categories that are under idCategory xxx...

So, using my example above, ViewCategories.asp?idCategory=(rootID) would display all products (A-E), ViewCategories.asp?idCategory=(CatB-ID) would show D-E...

The navigation thing is fine as it is... It's the main page content I'm looking at...

Does that make things a bit clearer?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 11:42am

Well, using this demo store which has nested categories, if you look at the following two links, is that what you have in mind?

Assuming one didn't have subcategories, as shown on the first link, would this address your requirement?
palagrim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palagrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 12:02pm
What I'd like is when you're viewing Category 1 you see all products under that category all the way from Product 1 to "SKU 9 - Very Deep Nesting"

Essentially tunnelling all the way through the sub categories and displaying the products found in each... Then as you click on the sub categories, it acts as a filter?

So, as another example, you could have:

Books
     -> Art
           > Drawing
                    > Drawing Book 1
                    > Drawing Book 2
           > Painting
                    > Painting Book 1
                    > Painting Book 2
           > Paper
                  > Card
                        > Card Book 1
                        > Card Book 2
                  > Crepe
                        > Crepe Book 1
     -> History
               > 1950
               > 1960

Viewing the "Books" category would display all books throughout the category tree...

Viewing the Art category would show all Art books...

Viewing Drawing would show all Art Books that were part of the Drawing category...

Viewing Paper would show all Books in categories below Paper (Card and Crepe)
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 12:52pm
You can do this without code modifications by assigning products to multiple categories (the parent and one or more subcategories). Use the Import Product Wizard to quickly assign multiple products to multiple categories. You can import two category assignments at a time for any product. We hope this works for you.

Edited by earlyimp - 29-January-2009 at 12:52pm
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2009 at 1:12pm
Sorry for the delay - got pulled away a few minutes.  Yes, as EI has suggested, and I was preparing earlier to reply - just do some experiments assigning your products at each level.

If you have products assigned at the parent category as well as the subcategory, you will see that they appear under both selections.
palagrim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palagrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2009 at 7:08am
Thanks guys! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic