ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading from Access to SQL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading from Access to SQL
    Posted: 24-January-2007 at 4:59am

I am currently running PC 2.75 with Apparel/Gift addon running on an Access database.  I have just purchased the upgrades to v3 but am considering since I'm undertaking a major upgrade I might as well upgrade to SQL server at the same time.

Has any one had any experience of this? any problems I should be aware of.  I intend trying to upgrade fully to v3 within Access (via 2.76 first) and then use the Access upsizing wizard on the v3 database to move to SQL

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Richard
www.blueshire.com

igurv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igurv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 3:20pm

Did you had any response for this query, I am planning to do that same, anything to be aware of?

Thanks

blueshire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueshire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-February-2007 at 3:38pm
No, no responses as yet, although I'm not in a hurry to upgrade, just bought the upgrade now since the $/£ conversion is great
cognecy View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2007 at 1:02pm

blueshire and igurv,

Upgrading from Access to SQL is not a trivial process.  My experience is that the upsizing wizard built into Access is not that good.  Problem with Upsizing is that it will try to re-create the Table Schema for the SQL side which will cause problems when you try to run the store. You are much better off migrating just the data into an SQL database that is already populated with the correct tables and has the correct schema.  As I said before, even moving the data is not trivial because you are dealing with Foreign Key Constraints that will not allow you to move all the tables at once.  The best example of this I can give you is that you cannot populate the data for orders until you have the products data and customers data in because one table relies on the other.  This is the case with many of the tables and those relevant relationships are different for each store depending on which features you are using and are not using. 

There are many other considerations and things to be aware of when migrating your store from Access to MSSQL but honestly, it would take me a very long time to list them all. 

After spending several weeks learning how to migrate our own store over to SQL, we started doing these migrations for other ProductCart Customers and have done a very good job at this. 

If you are interested, my company is Cognecy Solutions, LLC and we can do your conversion from Access to MSSQL.

Please see our post in the Partner Offers thread for details.[ http://www.earlyimpact.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=14  ]

Mark Shipp
Chief Executive Manager
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
mark@cognecy.com

Edited by cognecy - 14-February-2007 at 1:20pm
igurv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igurv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 12:20pm

I am trying to move the DB from Access to MS SQL - what should be the settings for the variable scDB, changed to and do i need to make changes to SSL link, where would I find that?

Thanks Gurv

private const scCrypPass="sdfhsdfkshf98werwreiwerjv"
'private const scDSN="DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};DBQ=d:\hosting\chque\ProductCart\dbcedfwb\EI27.mdb"
'private const scDSN="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;DATA SOURCE=d:\hosting\chque\ProductCart\dbcwb\EI27.mdb;User Id=;Password=;"
private const scDSN= driver={SQL Server};server="&address&";uid="&username&"; pwd="&password&";database="&database
private const scDB="Access"
private const scStoreURL= " http://ww.xx.com"

cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-March-2007 at 2:49pm

The setting for the scDB variable woudl be:

private const scDB="SQL"

The complete string should look like this:

<%private const scCrypPass="your_product_cart_Key"
private const scDSN="Provider=sqloledb;Data Source=url.yourserver.com,1433;Initial Catalog=your_DB_Name;User Id=your_user_id;Password=your_password;"
private const scDB="SQL"
private const scStoreURL="http://your_store_url.com"%>

Please note that you should never connect to an SQL db using an IP address (always use a URL (your hosting provider will provide this).

If you have any questions about this process feel free to contact me any time (just not at 2:00 AM in the morning please).

Mark Shipp
214-206-8910 (Office Line - GMT-6:00)
mark@cognecy.com

amgqmp1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amgqmp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 9:58am

FWIW, I paid Early Impact to perform the DB conversion from Access to MSSQL 2000...and it was well worth every penny.  I'm of the impression the system I run is a bit "unusual" for a productcart installation...but, they made the migration pretty painless.

Then I turned around and migrated it to MSSQL 2005 myself a couple weeks later.

If they still offer the service, I'd consider paying to have it done.  The price was incredibly reasonable, you'll be supporting the ProductCart developers, and they have quite a bit more experience converting their own DB between formats than anyone else.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic