ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading from v3.4 to v4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading from v3.4 to v4
    Posted: 16-June-2010 at 6:12am
Hello,

I have some concerns about upgrading a ProductCart store to the latest version (BTO).

I have heard of some issues while doing some of these upgrades, and want to get a feel for how much work I am getting into before I start this.

The site is not just going to be upgraded to V4, but it it also getting a fresh redesign so it will essentially be a completely new website, however the MS SQL database needs to remain the same as the customer information, order history, etc, etc needs to be preserved.

So would it be a matter of installing the new files on a server, then using the same DB connection string in storeconstants.asp to connect to the old DB?

I searched the Technical Articles at the EI wiki, but could find nothing on this.

Thank you very much in advance!
-Joe
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Brett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2010 at 12:02am
It's a pretty easy upgrade... You upload some files to the server then access the admin which runs the database script. You wouldn't be changing any database settings, as the newly uploaded files would handle the database upgrade.

There have been four "service packs" to fix bugs with v4, so I would say most of the bugs are ironed out by now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic