ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrading from V3.51

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrading from V3.51
    Posted: 15-January-2011 at 10:33pm
Posted here as there appears to be no "Upgrading" thread.

I am upgrading from V3.51 and the upgrade guide link directs me to
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/quickstart/quickstart which is not specific for upgrading from my version. I refers to a fresh install.

1.     I am confused why it suggests that I should not use Dreamweaver to upload files. As I would usually rename the existing folders to be replaced, place the new folders to that location, apply my modifications and upload them. I would not use the synchronization feature in Dreamweaver.

2.     I assume the database would need to be updated with new tables or colums etc and the article does not mention or provide database upgrade query. Again fresh setup query.

3.     Once all files are upgraded is there a way I can test the storefront without enabling customers to make purchases. Like a test mode feature with the storefront turned off?

Grant.
www.austcoldindustries.com.au

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2011 at 11:28pm
Hi Grant,

For detailed upgrade instructions to v4, please see:
http://wiki.earlyimpact.com/updates/v4_upgrade_instructions
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-January-2011 at 12:00pm
Grant -

If the doc says don't do something, it is likely due to one or more problems that are assured to result.  I'd respect that guidance and follow the specified procedure, lest you be back her wondering why things went badly.

when you upload the files for an upgrade, some of those files are designed to identify the need for a database update, and then to perform the update.  By following the doc that EI provided, all of that will occur in due course.

When we upgrade sites, assuming they are PPE (parent paths enabled) code which allows this procedure easily, we copy the entire store folder to one that is out of public view. 

So in your case, you have the "productcart" folder.  We would ask the hosts to copy that folder to "productcartdev", or do it ourselves if they are unavailable to do so. 

Then we proceed to uppgrade the DEV foler.  That allows a completely independent store that we are able to work in out of public view.  We do our CSS work there, re-apply any custom mods, and test until we have client approval.  That folder then needs to be renamed at the point that the upgrade is ready to be launched.

A point about that procedure - when jumping from v3 to v4, there is a difference in the way that the internal shopping cart array is handled in memory.  As you prepare to test the v4 files, you need to make absolutely certain that you do not load any v3 pages first.  Otherwise the v3 memory variables will be initialized and that will result in a temporary error TO YOUR browser only.    Just close all your browsers, form a path to the v4 files (such as http://www.austcoldindustries.com.au/productcartdev/pc/viewCategories.asp) and you should be golden.
austcold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 3:11am
Thank you so much for your advice Greg,

I noticed the file "CAPTCHA" in the upgrade.

I assume that this is a new file to the "productcart" folder?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2011 at 10:03am
There are a number of new folders that will be uploaded in the process.  It's important to carefully work through the contents of the zip file, evaluating what is a matching folder that requires overwriting older files, and what is new.  This is why it is so helpful to upgrade a copy of the store so that you don't have to be in a panic during the process.
austcold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2011 at 2:40am
I have applied the 4.0 updates to a duplicated "ProductCart" folder which I named "ProductCart_New" I followed the upgrade instructions but got a list of errors when testing.

See Here;
http://www.austcoldindustries.com.au/productcart_New/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

austcold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2011 at 4:30am
I think it is because the database has not been updated.

And I now are having issues trying to update the DB.

When I click on Update DB it fails and redirects to the following url with no error message.

http://www.austcoldindustries.com.au/productcart_New/pcadmin/techErr.asp?err=

I have checked the folders with FileZilla to check that the number of files uploaded match the ones updated on my local machine i.e the pcadmin folder has 794 files. but no success.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2011 at 9:13am

Please edit /productcart_New/includes/opendb.asp and edit out the first instance of this statement:

on error resume next

Make it look like this:

'on error resume next

Then you can see what the error is.
austcold View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austcold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2011 at 4:51pm
Thanks Greg,

done that, error below;

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'getUserInput2'

/productcart_New/pc/smallRecentProducts.asp, line 11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-January-2011 at 5:37pm
I don't believe that getUserInput2 is part of ProductCart.  If that's the case, you may have encountered custom programming alterations that may have been introduced in your earlier implementation - and that need to be migrated over to v4. 

Whatever getUserInput2 may be (possibly an altered copy of getUserInput which is in stringfunctions.asp) you will need to determine from your live store, then transfer that code as you may see fit.

We're at the point where I need to leave this in your hands.  I can answer basic questions, but when it comes to digging into code or coaching folks on custom programming matters, that's where I draw the line and invite merchants to hire us or any other developer they feel comfortable with.  Good luck - let us know if you wish us to dig in and assist with the wrapup.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic