ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UPS end of day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigOrder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UPS end of day
    Posted: 15-April-2009 at 3:36pm
We just started using Product Cart and on a typical day I have a big pile of UPS orders to go out.

I normally use the UPS World Ship program to process UPS shipments and from there I can print an "End of Day" report so the UPS guy just needs to scan 1 bar code that contains all my package information, instead of him having to scan each individual package.

I tried using the built in UPS ship wizard in Product Cart for the first time today. I don't see any kind of End of Day option. Am I just not seeing it?

thanks

Shane
cpgmar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpgmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2009 at 4:22pm

Product Cart does not keep a running tally of packages shipped for the day like UPS’s Worldship does.  When I found out this was the case, I checked with everyone at UPS and they told me that it was not necessary for the driver to have an “End of Day” barcode report or to scan every package.  Boxes are essentially “scanned” by UPS when Product Cart creates the label.  That being said, my driver usually scans the boxes anyway (375 this week!)  The End of Day report is still on my wish list because we need to know how many boxes are being sent each day.

Edited by cpgmar - 15-April-2009 at 4:42pm
Cindy

The Tasteful Garden

www.tastefulgarden.com
BigOrder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigOrder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2009 at 4:44pm
I talked to the UPS guy today and he said it's pretty common and he's used to scanning all the boxes. I was just trying to make it easier on him, but whatever. 

So far ProductCart has been been nice to work with. Ever ship to Canada? I had a Canadian order today with UPS and I processed it in ProductCart.. but it didn't automatically print the 3 invoices required for the Canadian shipment so I canceled it and did the shipment in UPS World Ship.

Shane
Big Order Savings
www.bigordersavings.com
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2009 at 5:01pm
Hi Shane,
One mod we have done with regard to shipments to Canada addresses the following scenario.

If a merchant has FedEx Ground configured, and a Canadian customer chooses that method, the calculated price will not include duty/customs.  If the customer refuses to pay those fees when accepting the shipment, FedEx places the unpaid fees on the merchant's account.

We built a means by which we are able to restrict FedEx ground to only US domestic ship-to addresses.
katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2009 at 5:14pm
I was going to point out the customs charge problem too.  We had a customer who ordered a necklace (pewter) for 15 dollars 3 years ago and choose UPS shipping.  The customer then got slammed with 25 dollars for processing customs plus duty.  The customer got so mad that they called their credit card company and disputed our charge.  It was a mess.  After that we turned off UPS international shipping and only use USPS. 

The problem we still have is that checkout does not clearly state custom duty and fees to the shopper.  Nor does it have the feature where a customer has to click and accept the import responsibilities.  This leave a store owner open to credit card disputes.   We had to add a disclaimer to the store's footer and order confirmations to confirm with credit card rules.  I wish EI would implement an acceptance screen at checkout screen for international orders.  It would be also nice to have a custom order received message for international orders.  Right now domestic and international customers see the customs notice on their invoices.  We had domestic customers that saw the message and frantically called us, because they thought they had to pay more.  Below is what we have added to the footer and messages. 

NOTICE INTERNATIONAL ORDERS SHIPPED OUTSIDE THE USA:
Your order may be subject to additional Import/Duty Fees and/or VAT or other local taxes that are not reflected in your order total. Any such additional fees or taxes are the sole responsibility of the customer and may be charged at delivery.

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2009 at 5:28pm
Oh, this reminds me of a customer we had last Christmas buying pewter ornaments.  He never saw our footer nor read his email confirmations.  The postal package made it to England he refused to pay import taxes and told the postal employee to send the package back.  Then he called his credit card company to refuse the charges.  Putting the customs notice into the footer may be to far down.  I clearly like to see a screen where the international customers has to accept the customs notice before finishing the order.   The best place would be right after entering the shipping address.  Do not let the customer continue unless they click accept.  Makes you wonder, if you should allow international orders at all.

Edited by katharina - 16-April-2009 at 5:29pm
Katharina
www.GermanPlaza.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic