ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Using Newsletter Wizard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarahbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Newsletter Wizard
    Posted: 01-December-2008 at 3:44pm
Hi,

I recently upgraded to 3.11 and am still finding my feet with the program. When I use the newsletter wizard to send my newsletters out I have 2 problems.

Firstly, I use 'word' to write m newsletters as I tweak them from the start of writing them to when I actually send them, then when I am happy with it I cut and paste it into the wizard and hit send after sending a test email, have always done it this way and it has laways worked. We have set up a template with my home page image in it so it looks pretty. Since the upgrade however I have received reports of a few clients receiving JUST the home page picture with no text, most frustrating! I have had someone have a look at it but they can't see what the problem might have been. We tried writing the letter in Notepad and then cutting and pasting but the same thing happened, no text just the home page image.

Secondly, when the newsletter is sending it 'hangs' the product cart screen if I dare to move away from it to do something else and just let it run in the background. when this happens you can not refresh the screen at all. I thought it might be something to do with the amount of emails sending (over 500) but last night I sent an email to 167 people and the same thing happened. If I log into Pcart on another browser after about 10 minutes the email isn't saved as being sent but when I log in the next morning it is, most strange!!!

Has anyone else had this problem, is it a known problem with this version? Is there something obvious that I am not doing??!

Thanks
Sarah
CoffeeShop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoffeeShop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 1:45am
No replies to your First problem. But on the Second one (system hanging), I noticed it happened to me once too. Eventually I found out that the fault is a typographical error in one of the e-mail address entered by the user. He typed it as user@email,com (comma) instead of email.com. I don't have any idea how it was saved on the database but typographical errors in e-mail address format might be a possible issue.
Sarahbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarahbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 1:59am
Thanks, that was a good suggestion but alas not the case with my email addresses. I just copied and pasted them and did a search for a comma or a speech mark but nothing was found.

Do you have any email addresses that have been registered in capitals? I am wondering if that is it?? I also have a heap of double ups for my last newsletter as in duplicate email addresses and wonder if the system created them or if i did... I am sure I erased all the doubles as initially I think I had about 700 on the mailing list and when i removes the doubles it came down to 500.

oh the stress of it all!!!
Cheers
RUOnTheNet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUOnTheNet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 2:12am
We have used a simple email sending program like this before, and what happens is that the dbase (or excel file) of emails is not "clean in the sense that there are characters within the email address or user name that the simple program doesn't like..  As Coffee Shop mentioned, it is either in the email address's spelling or a certain part of the info you are sending that needs an edit.  What you might want to try is looking at the entry just before the one that 'hangs" as that is the email address and contact information that is causing the program to hang.  Also, you might consider, if this program has the option, to send the emails out in batches.    We found that our ISP would batch the send emails, and this would also cause the program to hang.    (they did this so the spammers wouldn't be able to send bulk email). 
Alan,
www.AreYouOnTheNet.com
Internet Sales, Marketing & Affiliate Program Management
intour View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote intour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2008 at 11:31am
The batching may be the problem with your emails hanging. This may be a setting your web host has on the server for emails unless of course , it is your own server, in which case you can change it.

Was the 'hanging' happening before you upgraded?

Nigel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic