ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

USPS changes in May 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USPS changes in May 2007
    Posted: 25-April-2007 at 3:11pm

Hello,

I'm using USPS as my primary shipping options. Lately I keep on getting emails from them saying that they will be revising their APIs on May 14th and I wonder if it will require any updates on my end. Can anyone of the developers shed some light on how this will affect (if at all) us?

P.S. Here are the USPS options that I use, just in case it matters:

• USPS Priority
  • USPS Express
  • USPS Parcel
  • USPS First Class
  • USPS Global Express Mail (EMS)
  • USPS Airmail Parcel Post
  • USPS Economy (Surface) Parcel Post
  • USPS Airmail Letter Post
  • USPS Economy (Surface) Letter Post
  • I use ProductCart v.2.76p2

Thank You!

amgqmp1 View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amgqmp1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 9:54am

I'd love to know the answer to this as well.  I was planning to restart my "migration to v3" project before then...but, in case I can't find the time...any changes I need to make to 2.76 to keep our business going?

ProductCart View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 2:24pm

ProductCart currently uses Version 2 of the USPS API. According to the message sent by USPS, RateV2 will still be supported after the release of RateV3, so there should not be any disruption of service (i.e. USPS rates should still be returned after the new API is released). This makes sense to us as it would not be sensible for USPS to render existing online stores incapabable of showing USPS rates.

That said, the new API has features that we will want to incorporate into ProductCart. We plan to update the current implementation of USPS for ProductCart v3.1, which will be released in June of 2007.

The only issue, from what we can see, is for large packages sent via USPS Priority Mail, were the current API could return incorrect rates as the parameters used to calculate the rates have changed.

Specifically "[...] USPS is introducing a new dimensional weight pricing model for Large Priority Mail pieces. Dimensional weighting is a mechanism that converts the cubic size of a piece into a weight. If a large box is very light, it will be charged as a higher-weight piece, based on the International Air Transport Association (IATA) standard. This change only affects Priority Mail pieces larger than 1 cubic foot, and traveling to destinations within zones 5-8. [...]"

ProductCart v3.1 will "pass" to the new USPS API the package dimensions so that rates can be properly calculated, as long as the dimensions have been entered on a product by product basis using the Oversized Item settings in the Add/Edit product page. Otherwise, the default package dimensions will be used.

ProductCart v3.051 and below do not pass these values to USPS, which could result into incorrect USPS Priority Mail rates for large packages. Again, this is something that will be corrected with the 3.1 release.

Edited by earlyimp - 26-April-2007 at 2:31pm
    The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
    Sarah G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarah G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 10:15pm
    International USPS rates are not working at all.  When do we expect this to be corrected?

Sarah
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 1:59am

This caught us by surprise as the previous communications by USPS seemed to indicate the opposite (as mentioned above). We are working on a fix and we will try to have it available as soon as possible.

We will post some information here and on the "Just In" section of the ProductCart Support Center as soon as our development team has created a fix.

The ProductCart Team

mx22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 10:00am

First Class inside of the US is not working correctly. The correct service is now called First Class Mail Parcel - at least thats what I was told earlier today at the post office (maybe if you ship flat envelopes that service is still being called First Class, but the quote I get through the site is not correct even in this case).

Parcel Post - again incorrect qoutes are returned.

Priority Mail - looks good.

Express Mail - looks good.

International rates are not returning at all as someone mentioned above.

Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 12:09pm

Regarding the changes that just went into effect at USPS, there are several categories of mail services, especially for international services, that have been deleted and the names of others changed.

For example:
    Global Express Mail is now Express Mail International
    Airmail Parcel Post is now Priority Mail International

Is ProductCart v2.7 going to get an update so these new names can be reflected on the shipping preferences and settings?

Admin Group
    Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductCart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 4:40pm

We have posted the files to fix the issue with USPS International rates in the "Just In" section of the ProductCart Support Center. The zip file contains a fix for versions 2.76 and above.

Submit a support request if you are still not able to retrieve rates after you have updated your store's files.

The ProductCart Team

katharina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 5:03pm

To bad, we need the fix for 2.75.  Is there a way to have it available.

mx22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mx22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 10:54pm

Hello,

I've wrote an email to you, but just in case you guys check forum more often, Domestic Rates are still not correct.

Priority Mail - works fine.

Express Mail - incorect amount being pulled.

Parcel Post - incorrect amount being pulled.

First Class - it's useless now. What we need is "First Class Mail Parcel" option and it's not being pulled as First Class and there is no seperate option for it.

More details on these were included in the email I sent you.

Also on a topic of shipping. I was wondering if there are any way to allow customers to select such optional services as Delivery Confirmation number and Insurance?

Thank You!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
      Share Topic