ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what does the default search actually search?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what does the default search actually search?
    Posted: 02-January-2012 at 1:36pm
Hi,

Which fields are being combed when you run a default search on a PC-powered site?  From what I can tell, it's just Title and Description.  And SKU if someone types that in.

I'm having trouble with customers potentially not finding what they're seeking.  For example, if I have a "lavender pump" described on my site, and the customer types in "purple shoe", they won't see this lavender pump.  That's true even though in CSFs we have the word purple under color, and in the category it's assigned to, there's the word shoe.  They could do an advanced search, but if they get 0 results with a regular search, I doubt they'll pursue advanced if nothing's (seemingly) available.

Is this a real limitation, or is there another way I'm not seeing yet?

If I am limited, I was thinking a Plan B - I wanted to input meta keywords or something hidden to show these basic words in the back-end and hope PC's basic search would pick them up.

Are any meta fields covered?  I did a test and entered keywords in meta keywords field for one item, but it doesn't pick it up in the front-end.

Ideas?
prillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2012 at 1:38pm
ETA... not Title but Name, sorry.  :)
prillo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prillo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2012 at 10:34pm
I figured I'd reply in case anyone's left hanging here...

EI replied to my support ticket & confirmed it is indeed Name, Description & SKU only.  They are adding meta keywords to the search for v4.5 I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic