ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why is it so hard to find a coder for ProductCart?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why is it so hard to find a coder for ProductCart?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bottomlineusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is it so hard to find a coder for ProductCart?
    Posted: 17-May-2008 at 8:55pm
I have tried a number of coders from earlyimpacts list of coders. They either don't return my emails/calls, or they won't even talk to me without asking for big payment up front and want to be paid just to tell me if they can, or cannot help me, or they are "too busy" to help.

How do I get help?!?!

I have a couple of options for protecting my downloadable products, but need help implementing them either using ProductCarts license code feature, or having ProductCart send information to a php file to generate the codes.

I am no dummy, but I am no php or asp coder either!

I can find people to help with PHP, but I have yet to find a coder who knows asp very well AND can/will help.

Does anyone know of any coder who knows the asp code used with ProductCart that you can recommend?

Thank you for reading my post, and hopefully being able to help!

Edited by bottomlineusa - 17-May-2008 at 8:56pm
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2008 at 2:26pm

I'm not sure how to equate  your post to another one from last week where the poster shared her thoughts about all the offers of work for hire that she received via PM.  Apparently there are folks on the board who have time, and you just didn't ask enough developers?

OTOH, some of us are tied up with a backlog and are turning away some (if not all) requests for new projects until they get prior commitments under control.

It's no small task to run a web development business.  Given sufficient existing clients, there is always the "problem or emergency du-jour", juggling urgent client requests, answering phones, and eventually getting a bit of sleep or R&R.

And as for developers asking for a deposit prior to providing services, there are a couple issues here.  A: Collecting a retainer ensures the commitment to the client that they are serious and want the work done.  B: Collecting a retainer also ensures that if there is a collection problem once the work is completed, at least you didn't do the entire gig for free.  (The practicalities of trying to sue someone out of state for a small amount of money is effectively insurmountable given our legal system and the time-value of such an effort.)

I've done a bit of work with the license generator for PC, and if you would care to contact me I'd be happy to share the details and discuss scheduling.
bottomlineusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bottomlineusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 10:47am
"I'm not sure how to equate  your post to another one from last week..."
There is nothing to equate...I have not seen that post, nor have I experienced "all the offers of work for hire".   This post is in reference to the coders I've contacted on the coder list, not to any request on this forum.   

"OTOH, some of us are tied up with a backlog and are turning away some (if not all) requests for new projects until they get prior commitments under control"
That is certainly understandable, but it does not justify ignoring someone and not responding at all to an inquiry for help.  A simple response of, "We are not taking new business at this time",  would be appropriate.

It's no small task to run a web development business.  Given sufficient existing clients, there is always the "problem or emergency du-jour", juggling urgent client requests, answering phones, and eventually getting a bit of sleep or R&R.
This is not unique to a web development business.  And it still does not justify not responding, or requiring money just to find out what I need.

"And as for developers asking for a deposit prior to providing services ..."
I never indicated that I have a problem with paying a deposit prior to providing services, or that retainer is not appropriate, and I certainly understand the need to assure payment for work done.  I, myself, require a retainer from new clients. 

However, I don't charge them just to talk to me to see if I can meet their needs.  I spend some time up front finding out what their needs are, then decide if I can, or want, to work with them.  During this initial discussion I determine the scope of work,  and after that, give them a quote.  If we both decide to move forward, that is when I require a retainer before I start work.  I also provide an agreement and a proposal that outlines the scope of work. 

I expect the same from a coder.  I don't think it fair to ask for money just to talk to me.  Why would I want to pay anyone cash just to talk to them to find out if they are qualified to help with what I need done, or pay them just to tell me if they can, or cannot, help me? 

I appreciate your response to my post.  I think it important we talk on the phone to see if we would be able to work together.  Sometimes, postings come across different than intended.  Since trust is important to a successful working relationship in service businesses, talking directly with each other can alleviate any concerns or misunderstandings...and I do believe you misunderstood my post since your reply sounded defensive to me.   On the other hand, I may be the one who misunderstood your intent in your post as being defensive.

Edited by bottomlineusa - 19-May-2008 at 10:50am
Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 11:05am
Not at all being defensive.  Since I was not one of those you contacted prior to your post, I have nothing to be defensive about.  Just trying to answer your post in the most candid manner as I could, and to add a bit of perspective for you since there were no other responses. You seemed pretty frustrated and I thought the explanation might help to explain why folks are tied up, and so on. 

Give me a call and say hello if you care to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic