ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wikis for user content contribution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wikis for user content contribution
    Posted: 14-July-2006 at 10:05pm
ALthough PC supports the ability of users to add comments/rate products this is not logically extended to category descriptions.

In the past I played with recoding site information articles, to enable customers to vote and comment on the articles by establishing the articles as pseudo articles. However,  this really wasnot as involving to the end customer as I was seeking. The site we are putting together is highly collaborative in ethics.

Recent we are toying with making much of the textual contant of our site fully open aka Wikipedia. This applies well for general information and articles outside of PC. However, additionally the nature of our ecommerce side of the site is to encourage opinion both on products and specifically also category descriptions. For example we wish customers to share their experiences with product categories and argue or extand the de facto description that we initial apply.

Mechanistically it seems that MediaWiki is a good platform for this but will require support PHP and a mySQL database. (Neither is probably a big issue). I was throwing this out as an idea and hoping to see if anyone had a better solution to the problem.
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2006 at 10:08pm
I omitted to say that we are therefore looking at a custom modification of viewcat* to integrate to call the content on this page from mySQL verses the MSSQL PC category table. The page will contain a link to enable discussion and this will link to MediaWiki.

If this is of interest either email me or post a reply.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic