ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WordPress in ProductCart site

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WordPress in ProductCart site
    Posted: 07-April-2010 at 1:38am
Hello,

So I am new to 'blogs', and am looking how to setup .php-based wordpress into a ProductCart site.

In my searching on how to integrate Wordpress into an existing website, it looks as though you have to convert the actual blog page to .php to get it to work, however I have seen Productcart stores that are running wordpress blogs.  I've searched both google and this site on 'productcart wordpress' and the results have been minimal.  I have come across the product blog widget in the EI wiki, but it looks as if this is built for blogs already setup.

I already have the Wordpress software installed and activated on the server, and currently resides at domain.com/blog (/blog subdirectory).

Ideally, I would like to have the blog appear between the header/footer.asp files on the blog page. 

If somebody could point me in the right direction that would be great,
thank you
-J

Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 1:50am
Hi Joe,

You can't very well merge PC with WP, as one application is ASP and the other PHP. That being said, PC does have a widget you can plug into your WordPress blog.

What you need to do is install the WP blog as either a subdirectory or a sub-domain. Then, if you want PC and WP to look the same, you create a WP theme for that.

There are ways to get certain portions of your WP blog to display within ProductCart,but that would be through variations on RSS feed, not source files as you can't run ASP and PHP on the same web page.
Matt View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 1:51am
WordPress uses a template system that is quite a bit different than ProductCart. It is not possible to use the same header and footer. You could make a template that looks just like your store.  Else you could use one of the many free templates available online and just swap out the logo with your store's logo.  There are tutorials online about making WordPress templates.  After that, you just need to link to your blog from your store's navigation menu. 
BlackReefDesigns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 1:54am
Thank you very much Sean & Matt for your timely responses.

Alright, well I will start look into redesigning the WP theme to match the look of the store. 

Thanks again,
-J
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Vertex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vertex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 1:58am
Greg at Greybeard Design integrated our WP blog seamlessly with our PC website.  If you need help, I would give him a look.

http://www.vertexaudio.com/blog/
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 2:04am
Originally posted by Matt Matt wrote:

WordPress uses a template system that is quite a bit different than
ProductCart. It is not possible to use the same header and footer. You
could make a template that looks just like your store. 
Else you could use one of the many free templates available online and
just swap out the logo with your store's logo.  There are tutorials online about making WordPress templates.  After that, you just
need to link to your blog from your store's navigation menu. 

If you want to start with a WordPress theme, I'd recommend Suffusion. It's extremely malleable and is an excellent starting place for a theme. It will take some work to translate the styling from PC to WP, but if you've done your PC markup and styling in XHTML & CSS according to W3C standards for at least "transitional" compliancy, then it will make things easier for you; that is, you can't go using table layouts that PC is ok with on WP and expect things to lay out properly.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 2:08am
Originally posted by Vertex Vertex wrote:

Greg at Greybeard Design integrated our WP blog seamlessly with our PC website.  If you need help, I would give him a look.http://www.vertexaudio.com/blog/

Yes, Greg and I are both very adept at this. Joe is looking to learn this skill himself as a designer.

Go, Joe! I know you can do it, and once you nail one you'll have an excellent new service to offer to your clients.

PS: There are a few issues with running WordPress on a windows server. See my blog for more info on that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Vertex Vertex wrote:

Greg at Greybeard Design integrated our WP blog seamlessly with our PC website.  If you need help, I would give him a look.

http://www.vertexaudio.com/blog/

Originally posted by Sean@WMS Sean@WMS wrote:

Yes, Greg and I are both very adept at this.

Ok, if there is way to integrate the Blog inside the actual store, that would definitely be the preferred method as oppose to redesigning a WP theme. 

Edited by BlackReefDesigns - 07-April-2010 at 3:24am
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 3:18am
Joe, it's not possible.

ProductCart is classic ASP. Word Press is PHP. So, just look at the file extensions on your web site you are working on. When you see ".asp" that can't run PHP at the same time. Then go look at WP files: they are all .php, so you can't run ASP on them.

What you can do to communicate between them is use RSS feeds and/or some other options that can read/grab content.

As for themes, if you were a CSS genius extraordinaire, then maybe you could create the style sheet that would handle both PC and WP gracefully, but that is a lofty goal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2010 at 3:45am
Originally posted by Sean@WMS Sean@WMS wrote:

PS: There are a few issues with running WordPress on a windows server. See my blog for more info on that.

ok will do, thanks

Edited by BlackReefDesigns - 07-April-2010 at 4:23am
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic