ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wordpress Integration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote l.Breen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wordpress Integration
    Posted: 08-January-2012 at 12:36am
We currently are using dreamweaver as the home page and style control over PC.
This is all great provided we have someone that knows what they are doing and takes the time to do it well, but sometimes I wish for a more user friendly interface.
A wordpress website with PC integrated seems like a great option. Is anyone currently embedding PC into a wordpress site?
Luke

Calhoun Cycle
l.Breen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote l.Breen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 10:57am
OK, so after a bit of homework I've learned that wordpress is php and product cart is asp and these languages don't mix. Damn!
Has anybody integrated their product cart with an asp website that has a fairly easy to use backend (like wordpress does)?
Or is everyone using pc either out-of-the-box, or integrated into a dreamweaver site?
Thank You,
Luke

http://www.calhouncycle.com/
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 11:10am
We build blogs into stores all the time.  www.ahamodernliving.com and www.barrierreefaquariums.com both have Wordpress installed.

One strategy we use is to create included files for common navigation elements as .inc, .txt or .htm extensions so that the include statements in ASP and PHP will both play nice.  You can see that the category navigation in www.ahamodernliving.com/blog is consistent between the store and the blog.  We have a single file which is maintained manually and works in both applications.

The unfortunate compromise is that session variables cannot pass between ASP and PHP, so elements such as logged in status and cart totals cannot be read and used correctly in the blog.  There may be around that but we have not pursued such an effort thus far.

But beyond that, as you can see, we're using WP very successfully on those and many other sites.
l.Breen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote l.Breen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 11:43am
Thanks Greg,
The aha/blog is cool that it is aesthetically matched up to the other pages.
I am currently running a wordpress blog just as a separate folder on the server. That works out fine and I don't necessarily mind that it is completely different in look and feel from the calhouncycle.com home.
When I wanted to integrate pc into a wordpress site, it wasn't for the blogging aspect, but the website itself.
I'd have used a "page" for the home (not the blog [as is the default setup, though an easy setting change to have "home" be a page...])
So what I'm chasing after is an easier to control home page and it doesn't seem like wordpress makes sense for this, though I'm guessing there are solutions (that people like you would setup, but then the end user would be a bit more comfortable making updates..).
Thanks,
Luke

Home:   http://www.calhouncycle.com/
Blog:   http://www.calhouncycle.com/shopcast

Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 11:51am
http://www.maingear.com makes very extensive use of Wordpress, and if I recall correctly, there are actually two distinct installs in there.

I'm not so sure that what you are seeking can't be accomplished by a competent developer, budget and schedule allowing...

Also, you state that you need greater flexibility with the home page.  Without knowing what your percieved home page would look like, we do all sorts of stuff with or without PC's home.asp file, but always user-maintainable.  We have never found it necessary to use a blog to create a flexible home page that is easy to manage.
l.Breen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote l.Breen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-February-2012 at 1:58pm
Thanks Greg,
I just did a little digging around and can see that you are doing some fabulous work using product cart as the ecommerce solution. Impressive!
Trek Light Gear is an all time favorite product cart site of mine.
Are you saying there is a user friendly back-end to that home page that makes it possible for them to update the front page?
Thanks,
Luke

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic