ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerating static HTM pages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2007 at 9:13am
I've uploaded the files and made the changes required to the 404 lookup in IIS but I'm not seeing the .htm versions of the links when I load /viewcategories.asp. Any suggestions as to what I need to do?
yukonjack View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2007 at 10:25am
Silly me. I just figured it out. My FTP program had not copied all the new files to the server. Now that I've copied all the files to the server, this mod works perfectly. Thanks EI!
beaverfish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2007 at 2:29pm

I just implemented the custom 404 static page switcher files.  I seem to be having success on the 're-writing' aspect - but not the 're-re-writing' aspect. Hmm...

For example,  this is a re-written URL: http://webdevcss/pc/2-6oz-CAB-Filet-Mignon-18p21.htm (it's from my dev system).  But when I click the link, I'm getting a 404 error.

So it seems that one side is building the friendly URL - but the other side is not translating it back properly.  I am running 3.03 and replaced the changed code for each file located in the download using ExamDiff Pro (nice program).  I checked the differences twice, so I'm pretty sure they are correct.

Am I missing something obvious here?  Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin

mimpoz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2007 at 11:17am
I noticed in the upgrade it said that the viewcategories.asp and viewprd.asp have a no follow on them. where does it have it. I want to add no follow,no index,no archive so it should get rid of the existing results so I do not have duplicat content. Right now google is putting my static pages a supplemental results

Edited by mimpoz - 16-July-2007 at 12:23pm
mimpoz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2007 at 1:15pm

Now that the static upgrade has a nofollow on the viewcategories page when there are multiple pages to display ei. http://www.chevellejewelry.com/gold-diamond/pc/ASSCHER-c248. htm there are 7 pages of items. will the items on page 2-7 not get indexed ?

Edited by mimpoz - 16-July-2007 at 12:23pm
ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-June-2007 at 5:39pm

That is correct. The code is there to prevent the ASP version of the page being indexed and triggering a possible duplicate content penalty. You should create subcategories.

On the other end, we will try to find ways to prevent duplicate content issues and prevent the use of no-follow on the page navigation. It's a little tricky to find a good solution for this.

The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
mimpoz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2007 at 10:38am
we already have subcategories I am worried that sub-subcategories might take away from the user experience. Do you think it would help if we had a link for view all - and have some kind of static page link ei. http://www.chevellejewelry.com/gold-diamond/pc/ASSCHER-all-c 248.htm and show all the asschers diamond studs...

Edited by mimpoz - 16-July-2007 at 12:24pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2007 at 10:45am
Yes, that sounds like a smart idea.
The ProductCart Team

mimpoz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2007 at 10:52am
do you think there would be a duplicate content issues since the whole first page would be repeated in the results or is it ok since there are other items there to.

Edited by mimpoz - 16-July-2007 at 12:24pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2007 at 11:03am
I wouldn't bee too concerned. As you might know, there is a huge debate about duplicate content. There people (including some Google staff) that completely downplay the issue indicating that there is no such thing as a duplicate content penalty. There are other people (e.g. some SEO experts) that say they swear they have seen the penalty over and over. I wouldn't be too concerned. We put a no-follow on those links just because we are trying to have a search engine spider focus on the static pages, rather than the dynamic ones (so viewcategories.asp would never really get indexed from the spider browsing the store). Still, feel free to remove it. We have feeling that the impact on the overall Web store rankings would be minimal.
The ProductCart Team

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic