Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Search Engine Optimization
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenerating static HTM pages

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2008 at 6:09pm
I'm looking at using ProductCart for our e-commerce website. This SEO issue is one of our main hangups at the moment.

The problem arises from the possibility of duplicated content. Check these links out (taken from one of the featured ProductCart sites):
http://www.nutralife.com/supplements/pc/SAMe-400mg-30-tablet s-2p59.htm

That is the correct link, using the custom 404 as intended. However, there is an issue with duplicate content, because the link isn't really tamper-proof. Check this out:
http://www.nutralife.com/allcompletejibberishdoesntmatterata ll-2p59.htm

It doesnt matter what the first part of the URL is, as long as the last few characters (I'm assuming whatever's after the last hyphen) are correct, because that's what the custom 404 page is reading.

Supposedly this has to do with the IIS server's lack of a mod_rewrite equivalent. For example, check out page site running on a linux server with a php-based ecommerce solution:

http://www.balance-your-hormones.com/hormone-test/hormone-te st.html

You'll notice that there are no characters at the end of the URL, only the product name. This makes it much more unlikely that duplicate URLs will be produced and indexed.

Do you think this problem with possible duplicate URLs will be an issue in search engine rankings? Creating a static page for each of our products simply isn't an option, as we have over 10,000 products waiting to be entered into whatever software we decide to use.

ProductCart View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2008 at 4:16am
Hi Brett,

Two comments on this:
  • The scenario that you describe in your example is probably not a common real-life occurrence. It's hard to imagine a situation where you would have multiple, different URLs pointing to the same page (other than maybe user error).
  • Don't overestimate the "duplicate content penalty". Google has been rather clear in indicating that the penalty - if any - only applies when there is a scenario of substantial duplication of content (e.g. syndication of content). For example, see the following posting by Matt Cutts on the topic.
The ProductCart Team

Home of ProductCart shopping cart software
The internets View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 2:31pm
It has been some time since this was introduced.  What are the results for those of you that implemented this?
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2008 at 10:55pm
I have a question about installing this for stores that have been online for a while.

After installing the mod, I tested a page such as mystore.com/store/pc/viewcategories.asp?idcategory=22 using the http://gsitecrawler.com/tools/server-status.aspx tool, and I still get a 200 response.  The page clearly renders.

Is that a problem?  Is that not the source of a "duplicate content" issue? 
Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 4:49am
The ASP pages must remain available. For example: when going back to the product details page from the "View Cart" page, ProductCart passes back information on options attributes that had been selected or input fields that had been filled out.

A couple of "to do" items:
- Replace all internal links so that they use the HTM pages
- Replace all incoming links that you have control on
- Use the updated Control Panel tools to create a store map and site map that use the new URLs
- Submit the new sitemap to Google and other search engines, making sure the previous one is replaced by the new sitemap.

Don't overestimate the "duplicate content penalty". See above on this same topic.
The ProductCart Team

mimpoz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2008 at 1:08pm
I have the static upgrade on many stores. I have one problem which I was wondering if it was fixed I get an error when I add a query string after the .htm see

Invalid:                 http://www.chumbadeals.com/productcart/pc/Dog-Stuff-c2510.htm?_oskwdid=3484896

Working:              http://www.chumbadeals.com/productcart/pc/Dog-Stuff-c2510.htm

Admin Group
Admin Group

ProductCart Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2008 at 6:29am
Yes, this has been fixed in the latest files. Please download the latest files and let us know if you are still experiencing a problem. You can find them in the first post of this long thread, or on the new ProductCart WIKI.
The ProductCart Team

dinop View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2008 at 4:35pm
hi, I've set everything up as per instructions. I've uploaded the 3.11b version of files, and I'm using Productcart BTO 3.11b. The categories are now static SEO friendly pages, but the BTO products are not, and when typing in the SEO friendly static URL for that BTO product it loads it up but redirects to ConfigurePrd.asp?idproduct etc....you can have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/57k978. Any ideas anyone?....Pleeeease!
tchapin View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2008 at 6:30pm
First of all, I just want to say thank you for creating this modification for ProductCart! Search engine friendly URLs are the best. I wish this just came standard with ProductCart! The 404 method seems to work really well.

One problem I ran into was that the content pages aren't search engine friendly, though, so I made some modifications that would enable this functionality.

As far as I know, this mod should work for the ProductCart 3.11 version (with parent paths enabled). Just extract and replace over existing files (after making backups).

This mod only works for direct links to content pages. I didn't modify any of the automated navigation generation scripts, so if you want that functionality, you'll need to figure it out.

Attached File:

uploads/1229/2008-06-05_151700_pcSEP_v3.11_Friendly_Content_Pages.zip

P.S. Any word on a 3.12 compatible version of the search engine friendly mod?

Greg Dinger View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2008 at 6:37pm
3.12 is only 3.11 plus the various scripts that are listed in the "just in" section of the site.  I don't recall seeing any overlap, and believe it's just fine to use the 3.11 SEO mod with 3.12.

Someone might correct me but I'm fairly certain about this.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic