ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Small Miscellaneous Things

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2012 at 9:46pm
Well, that's an even bigger can of worms. Sure, that would be lovely -- "a pretty URL" as they are called ... but ... 

This would essentially tell IIS to look in a sub-directory which doesn't exist (very different than looking for a file that doesn't exist) and would have to be handled via URL rewriting or when the server.transfer occurs, it's going to load the page as if it were in the wrong directory. Here's an example for you:

This is basically an "out of the box" pc site with nothing modified to protect against the location of all manner of things and none of our usual URL rewriting tricks.

Here's an example of that sort of thing being handled just for a proper 404 handling page on a PC site:

First of all, in the interest of being "pretty", we've rewritten away the /productcart/pc/ sub-directories, and we've made sure that in our URL Rewriting we can find the correct locations for JavaScript libraries & such and assure that all of the images and CSS & links are called from the root on down, etc.

Now, imagine all of the work you'd have to do in addition to that if this were a category or product page. I dunno. I'd have to think about it a bit more an play with it.

That's not to say it can't be done. But that's about all the time I can give to it for now.

If you are super serious about it to the point of wanting to pay for a customization here, we could do it, but we'd most likely need to use URL rewriting inside IIS to avoid having to literally rewrite a whole lot of ProductCart.
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 6:26am
I'm really doubtful about the benefits of this. Apart from developers and search engines who really looks at the url anyway?! And those that do are quite likely to think a url is incomplete without a .htm/l
It's like punctuation, people are habituated to www and :htm/l imho.
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 7:02am
Lots of people look at the URL especially when people link to your site on a forum... and having a clean URL is important to the aesthetics of your site... what would you rather have:

This: http://www.domain.com/board/topic=f&aqi=g8g-s1g1&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=2333l2700l0l2958l4l4l0l0l0l0l90l300l4l4l0

Or

This: http://www.domain.com/board/topic/stuff/

Also, is there anyway to change the SEO Url to all lower-case letters? Right now it seems to follow the capitalization used in the product title, but if you notice urls on any major site - the entire URL is always in all lower case letters.

Edited by Ludwig - 18-February-2012 at 7:03am
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 9:34am
Indeed, perhaps when the url's are that different. Seo friendly yes, but it's only with a small amount of time. If amazon don't think it worth the effort that's a pretty good indicator that it really isn't worth stressing about ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002LVUWFE for their all important kindle ) Re lowercase - no, ProductCart runs on windows servers only, so case is important. Honestly, any e-commerce business should be focussing on more important aspects of the business and software than this. Precisely because of that I'm bowing out of this particular thread.
Ludwig View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2012 at 8:16pm
Amazon.com which I love is like the Walmart of the internet, so the aesthetic of that site will be different than say a site that sells nothing but expensive jewelry. The latter site would be more concerned about how the URL appears.

Ex: http://www.cartier.us/show-me/timepieces/w7100009-calibre-de-cartier-watch

Also, I just manually put a url in all lower-case letters, and copy/pasted it in other browsers and the page still loads okay... so I'm assuming it's something that could possibly be done.

Edited by Ludwig - 18-February-2012 at 8:27pm
mhuttman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhuttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2012 at 3:35pm
How about just using a URL shortener like bit.ly when giving out the URLs? You even get "Twitter friendly" URLs out of the deal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic