ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Using ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Backorder Confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattprice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backorder Confusion
    Posted: 21-July-2007 at 3:15am

Hi,

We are still testing our store before it goes live and I have been playing around with backordered items in productcart v3.

When a product has zero stock the "typically available in x days" message displays which is great as it enables the customer to make an informed decision as to whether the expected delivery time is acceptable.  However, if we allow back orders on an item that typically has a low stock level, the following typical scenario can happen :-

A product has a stock quantity of 1 with backordering enabled, the customer knows we have one in stock but requires 10.  They do not know however how long it will take to receive the remaining 9 because the "typically available in x days " messgage is not displayed.

Furthermore, it does'nt seem possible to ship the in stock quantity using the shipping wizard because Productcart looks at the overall stock ( -9 ) and requires that the stock is replenished to a positive number before any shipment is made for the item.

I have only done a couple of test transcations on this basis and was wondering whether I have got my facts straight here.  And if I am correct whether anyone has any workarounds to this problem.

A good solution I can see would be to display a message below the backorder item in the view cart screen which for the above scenario might state :-  "We only have x available for this item, we will ship the full quantity when stock is available, this is typically x days".  This enables the customer to adjust their order quantity to the available stock or stick with their original quantity in the knowledge that it will arrive, in full, in x days (the existing variable set against the product).

Would love to hear any thoughts from users using the backorder functionality.

Many thanks

Matt

Edited by mattprice - 21-July-2007 at 3:16am
GavinB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GavinB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2007 at 12:04pm
I haven't played with the backorder system as yet, but I think you have explained the issue very clearly and would suggest you send it to Earlyimpact support and see if they can build something around it for a future release.
geoff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-July-2007 at 8:25pm

I personally found that backorders are trouble for both the customer and the store. My prefernece is to not enable a customer to order anything that is not in inventory. In the event that someone orders something that you thought was in inventory (which happens maybe 4 times a week) I contact the customer and politely refund their order.

I understand this might not be everybodies preference. However, it is hard enough keeping up with current work without trying and dealing with highly uncertain delivery schedules for backorders.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic