ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disabling "require login" for returning custs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katharina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 6:37pm
I think, if you loose that many customers, then there may be something else going on.  A big bailer can be related to high shipping cost (not that I've looked at your site).   I don't see such a high drop rate at our site.  Occasionally we have an incomplete, and we always email them with the option of paying over the phone.  Ironically almost all of them do call.  We also offer "call in credit card" at check out and that is being used quite frequently.  Some feel more save when they can talk to someone on the phone. 

As for checkout, this is what puzzles me.  Why even ask for an email address when someone chooses to shop with out creating an account.  Just take the address, no email confirmation, no tracking information per email, no reward points, and no login area later.   That's what those customers want?  Right?  I'm not complaining about it, since almost 100% of our customers create an account.  Perhaps having a better layout and explaining the benefits for creating an account and email usage policy on the registering page would help.  Besides it has become industry standard for customers to create accounts. 
That's all for now,
Katharina
BlackReefDesigns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackReefDesigns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 6:50pm
Katharina,

You will lose many customers to this issue if:

- A majority of your customers are Government / Military who don't want their profile saved
- And are moving from a different eCommerce site where before you could check out with a password.  So customers - who are used to quickly 'checking out with a password' now go to a new site where they have to login on their second order!

Originally posted by katharina katharina wrote:

I think, if you loose that many customers, then there may be something else going on.  A big bailer can be related to high shipping cost (not that I've looked at your site).   I don't see such a high drop rate at our site.  Occasionally we have an incomplete, and we always email them with the option of paying over the phone.  Ironically almost all of them do call.  We also offer "call in credit card" at check out and that is being used quite frequently.  Some feel more save when they can talk to someone on the phone. 

As for checkout, this is what puzzles me.  Why even ask for an email address when someone chooses to shop with out creating an account.  Just take the address, no email confirmation, no tracking information per email, no reward points, and no login area later.   That's what those customers want?  Right?  I'm not complaining about it, since almost 100% of our customers create an account.  Perhaps having a better layout and explaining the benefits for creating an account and email usage policy on the registering page would help.  Besides it has become industry standard for customers to create accounts. 
That's all for now,
Katharina

Edited by BlackReefDesigns - 07-April-2009 at 6:51pm
Joe S.
BlackReef.net
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 7:17pm
Folks - Don't forget a much enhanced  "Guest Checkout" is planned in V4.

Joe,  

I don't get what you mean by "Checkout with a password" - Doing so implies they have an account and at the very least a password is always associated with an account of some sort - so would require a Login to use it..

For E-Commerce any delivery of physical products will need a delivery address collecting and if a Credit Card is used then the address associated to that account is also required by the credit card companies as part of the security processes. 

The key difference as I see it is that some customers don't want their details stored/used beyond it's use in the transaction, or am I mis-understanding the issue?

I expect those same customers will still want the ability to RMA faulty products and possibly other facilities as well. Deleting their details after the transaction is complete could be done, but whatever happens there is always an electronic paper trail, payment records from the credit card company, delivery records all of which are outside any E-Commerce software packages control  so quite what the ultimate purpose of the exercise is defeats me.  
Anyway, automatically zapping the email address would disable the account and render it inaccessible from the storefront.  If you feel the need, it would be possible to also automate invalidating addresses with some custom code after an order has been dispatched (at the point it changes to "complete").

ANOTHER OPTION springs to mind - A modified version of the "Login" page - perhaps called something completely different  "Guest Checkout" which would basiically be loging.asp but with hidden email address and password fields, where those details are automatically calculated, say a random(ish) email address pointing to the stores domain - say ZZhhmmss@mystore.com , where hhmmss are the current time to the second (most stores a very low chance of a collision). 

joshs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joshs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-April-2009 at 11:55pm
Time to re-read the clue train manifesto.

Actually in this particalur case the clients are actually calling up and asking how to get around the login process.    Luckily we are listening to what is going on instead of telling the customers what they should be doing.

LawBkstore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LawBkstore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2009 at 1:02am
OK...I have read 4 pages of posts regarding this problem.  It is a big problem for me.  If I have a problem trying to place a test order and remember what email address and password I used, my customers do too.  I know I am losing sales because of it.  In simple english...I am not a techno geek, has anybody fixed this problem.  Can anybody direct me to may be able to do it?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2009 at 1:44am
I've not had time to read through this whole thread, but my buddy Greg Dinger tipped me off to it while we were discussing ProductCart 3.51 this evening.

Anonymous checkout is a very important feature for many merchants. However, the difference between the data is just whether the shopping cart captures the email address (which is an excellent unique identifier) and a password.

That is, it's almost purely psychological . . .  but pschycology is the beter part of customer experience.

So, while, all of the same data must still be retained for the fulfillment of an order, to get the order in the first place requires a little trick to assuage the fears of the ignorant.

I should have a "simple" solution to this issue within the next day or two. This simple solution will ride on a minor tweak to PC.

I'm also working on an advanced solution which would allow any customer to create a login after several anonymous checkouts and still retrieve their anonymous order history.

If you are interested in either of these solutions, please PM me.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2009 at 1:07am
I've completed a solid beta of this modification.

Once installed, customers can checkout "anonymously" repeatedly , including those that have checked out the first time this way (they will be moved into the new logic this modification introduces).

I've tested this under every scenario I can think of, my partner will run a barrage of tests against it tomorrow, and I've got another beta tester.

I will be releasing the instuctions on this mod for $25

If you are interested in this release, and have not already sent a private massage to me about this, please do PM me, and I'll keep you apprised.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2009 at 4:23pm
Apologies for the delay in getting this released (our first volunteer beta tester wasn't able to get their developer to get around to installing it), but it has finally been beta tested successfully and is ready for release.

You can purchase the modification for unlimited anonymous checkouts here:
http://www.wmsmerchantservices.com/shopping-carts/ProductCart/add-ons.asp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic