ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Testing email

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St_Pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing email
    Posted: 29-March-2009 at 4:36pm
Hi,
I'm doing some testing, getting familiar with all the features of PC and I'm having a problem getting the email to work.  I entered a test order and when I process the order with "send email" checked I don't get the email to my customer account.  My e-mail settings in the control panel are...

Component = CDONTS
SMTP Server = localhost
From email = a valid domain email address

When I use the "Test your Setting" link I get the email to my domain address, but it seems like everything else like "forgot account password" or "order status changes" doesn't go out to my test customer email address. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!
Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 5:27pm
Hi,
  The place to start is "Help > Troubleshooting Utility".
Also, in "Settings > Email Settings", just under the drop own for selecting the component there is a "Test your Settings" tab. If that works then so should the rest of the emails.
wiki.earlyimpact.com/productcart/settings-email#smtp_server

cognecy View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 5:54pm
St_Pierce,

When you test the email functions it is always a good idea to test to an external email address like a gmail,yahoo, or msn address.  Basically any address that is not attached to your domain name.

Since the available email components are installed on your hosting server I have seen quite often that Store owners will test to their own email address (which is of the same URL as the store or "in-network") and it works fine ... but, that is not an indication of whether it will work for off-network addressees (like a customers would be).

If you are using the current version of ProductCart you can change the destination email in the Test Email Pop-up window.

Also I would not recommend using CDONTS as this is no longer supported by Microsoft (deprecated since IIS5 or pre-'windows server 2000').  Many hosting providers do not support or even include it on their servers.  If you want a generic email handler that will work on all windows server hosting choose the CDOSYS (CDOSYS is the new improved interface for SMTP mail and carries much less overhead).

Good Luck
Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk
St_Pierce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St_Pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 10:32pm
Thanks for the replies....
I switched to component  CDOSYS.  Sorry I didn't specify this in my original post but I do have a "test customer" with a yahoo email account.  I eventually received those emails about an hour or two later.  So after some more testing, here is what I have figured out...

If I pretend I am a customer and use the "forgot password" or place a test order within my store (and wait for the "order received" email), I will get the respective email to my test customers account (yahoo) in anywhere between 20 to 90 minutes later.

I do receive the "new order" email to my stores domain almost immediately.  Also, If I send an email from the "test customer" yahoo account to my stores domain email,  which is setup with an auto-reply, I get that reply (to my test customers email) very quickly as well.

I contacted my hosting company and they said that localhost can be used as SMTP server.
It just seems as though emails to customers from within Product Cart are taking a long time to be received.  Are there any other setting that I may be overlooking?

Thanks again!

Hamish View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2009 at 10:51pm
Hi,
   If the emails are "slow" it could be down to several causes, but not ProductCart :-)
Check the email headers to see at what point the email is being held up.
Also try sending emails to the target email address from your desktop to see how long they take.
If it turns out to be the server then ask your hosting company to investigate.

St_Pierce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St_Pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2009 at 10:04am
Hi Hamish,
Thanks for the reply...  When you say look at the email header are you refering to the time-stamp?  If so, they have the time when they were actually created not delivery time.

I can send an email to the target email address (yahoo) from itself and from msn and receive it within a few seconds.
I can send an emai from the target email address to my domain email address and get a response within seconds since it uses an auto-responder.

I placed another test order with an msn test account and have not received the "order received" email yet... it's been over an hour.  Also I NEVER received a "forgot password" email that I submitted at 10:30 last night from a yahoo test account.

Is there any way for me to see email traffic within PC control panel?  I don't think so.

I have my hosting company looking at some things but they say they are not experiencing any problems, and that yahoo was experiencing delay, but it's the same thing when I test with msn. 

Currently setup as...
Component = CDOSYS
SMTP server = localhost
Store Manager email = admin@mydomain.com 
From email = sales@mydomain.com

Thanks again.

One other thing that I tested... I used the PC Demo store and received my email immediately.  Also, looked at the PC demo control panel and we seem to be setup the same.

Edited by St_Pierce - 30-March-2009 at 11:33am
St_Pierce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St_Pierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2009 at 4:52pm
All is good!  Thanks for all the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic