ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mosso (RackSpace) Cloud Permissions Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2009 at 6:53am
Hi mimpoz,
  These issues look like ones that should be raised with Mosso support, havew you tried that? If so, did they have solutions for those two problems?

alx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 7:36pm
Hi there!

I'm setting up product cart on Mosso environment. Got stuck on folder permissions, argghh! hope you guys can through me a line here, thanks in advance.

Here's what i have done:
1. Installed windows server 08 iis 7 web site on mosso: site up and running ok...
2. Installed SQL database: pc sql script and connection string ok...
3. Set permissions with filezilla and checked recurse into sub directories all files and folders:
+top root folders:
web -- 775
content --775

+product cart folders:
product cart folder renamed to 'shop' -- 777
inherit to all folders and files

As I run the setup wizard error on file permissions, tried to figure out what was causing this.
I got that if I rename the 'productcart' folder to 'shop', but not the 'pcadmin' the wizard passes all tests OK.

But if I rename the 'pcadmin' folder as suggested, just cant get through the test, productcart and pcadmin folder fails.

Got 'admin' name back to 'pcadmin' and voaila!, errors passed.

This is so weird, do you guys have some idea what would be wrong, I wouldnt like to leave the administration folder as 'pcadmin' default.

Thanks!!
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2009 at 7:42pm
Did you set the name of the admin folder in "/includes/secureadminfolder.asp"?
alx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2009 at 12:48pm
That did the trick!

Thank you Greg. Have a nice one!
Kix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2010 at 7:31am
I wanted to check in on this thread and see if anyone else has had issues with ProductCart on the Rackspace Cloud. I'm about to move one of my client's stores to it.

We used the Apparel add-on very heavily on the site and I want to make sure it doesn't have issues before we move the store over.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2010 at 10:23am
www.maingear.com was there, and they decided to move away and host with us.  Also, Mark Shipp mark@cognecy.com has some opinions and experience with Mosso.  You may want to check with him, and write to maingear to ask what they did or did not like about Mosso.
ammonihah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammonihah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2010 at 11:08am
Don't waste your time with Mosso. I actually went to GreyBeard Designs and used Greg for my hosting after messing with Mosso for a few weeks. What a pain. Not worth the time. Greg has fast stable hosting and he provides good support because he knows Product Cart inside and out. I wanted to just make money with my cart, not fiddle with settings on a cloud server to see if I could get things to work, never know if I missed something and could be down tomorrow. You can find him at http://www.greybearddesigns.com.
cognecy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cognecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2010 at 11:29am

Keep in mind that Mosso/RackSpace Cloud is running Windows inside a Linux Shell.  Now that is not all together a bad thing and I will be the first to admit that I think it is a very cool concept.

Now for the bad ... 
As neat as it is, there are some intrinsic problems that arise namely with the permission stacks.  Linux and Windows use two entirely different methodologies when it comes to permissions.  Linux uses Change Mode (CHMOD) permissions which are not compatible with Windows permissions (apples and oranges).  ProductCart and at least one of the EI addon modules are dependent on having the "Windows" permissions set properly.

Even though you are running a virtualized version of Windows, it is not possible to set Windows File/Folder permissions in the Mosso environment.  Many users, and myself when I was testing their service, have had problems getting the permissions set correctly.  What will typically happen is you will have to do a combination of setting CHMOD777 and working with the techs at Mosso to get it to work without error.   There is another problem with Mosso and that is with ASP.NET which also comes back to the permissions.  If you are ever thinking about running the QuickBooks Synchronizer product, the Mosso environment would likely not be the best place for that.

Do not get me wrong, you can probably get it to work, but not without some effort.   My own experience with Mosso concluded with low overall scores on speed, performance, and reliability. 

Bottom line is that as cool as the concept is, I do not recommend Mosso for any mission critical or web store environment.  Clouds and 'Windows on Linux' have too many problems and too many hurdles to overcome to be considered mainstream at this point.

Mark Shipp
Cognecy Solutions, LLC
Hosting/Design/Customization/Database Migration
www.cognecy.com
www.cognecy.co.uk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-January-2010 at 1:16pm
Kix, just so you know, Mark also provides hosting, and there are other hosts who specialize in ProductCart such as Jolt.  Any of us will take good care of you.
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 7:07pm
We are about to make the switch to rackspace cloud. I just setup a server 2003 32 bit environment. Everything was setup exactly as you would a dedicated server... no issues whatsoever. I guess they have made improvements since this thread started.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic