ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Getting Started
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mosso (RackSpace) Cloud Permissions Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 8:11pm
Our site is hosted with Greg and it never has any problems. On the off chance that something has gone wrong, Greg replied in less than five minutes when I emailed him.
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Dinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2011 at 8:47pm
Art, I'm not posting this as a pitch for my services, but I have a little experience with the Mosso environment.  And my thanks to Brett for his kind words.

I worked on a store that was hosted at Mosso. I'm very uneasy with that environment given that it's Windows over Linux, and therefore it adopts the Linux permissions instead of Windows.  Maybe someone who is more comfortable with the Linux world would present a different view, but I really felt somewhat at risk not knowing if the resulting permissions represented any sort of security opening.  Perhaps I'm overreacting, but I tend to err in the favor of caution, and that environment simply makes me uneasy.  I just don't take projects that are hosted there any longer - it doesn't seem worth taking the risk in case something goes badly.
whizzinpc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizzinpc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2011 at 10:44am
I guess well see how it goes... it's been a week now and not a single hiccup. All the folder permissions that needed to be set were done just like you would on any windows server. There is no Mosso Control Panel like you see in the first page of this thread.. it's straight RDP, open ports, transfer files, set folder permissions, set database connection run setup wizard and that's it. Can you please explain the security part we should be worried about. I do know there is no hardware firewall... but I figured it's not really necessary considering we only need http/https and ftp ports and a hardware firewall is actually a failure point... which we've seen happen in our in-house servers prior.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic