ProductCart E-Commerce Solutions Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ProductCart > Customizing ProductCart
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Question for developers about custom price vs ...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedQuestion for developers about custom price vs ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2009 at 2:09am
How could it be this difficult to get a straight answer?  Honestly, it's a yes or no question... regardless of the relativity of pricing to other companies... can you or can you not always charge more for a 'custom' job as oppose to selling a premade module?

Of course, the developer is getting paid something for the work... so your remarks regarding paying the developer for his expertise are just beside the point.

I'm looking for yes or no answers, not runaround politician answers.  Really, you're just proving my point by the way you talk around my question.

I already know the answer, I was just hoping someone else would actually admit to it - but, I guess a group of developers aren't exactly the right people to ask - since it sounds like you all rationalize this type of deceitful behavior.

This is what I'm talking about - the mindset of people who work in these type of service-based industries are typically shady (there are always possible exceptions) - it's like politics.  Because, there are no real standards for pricing you assume you can just do whatever you want, tell a little lie here and there to make a few extra bucks - stretch out the time you need to spend on a project to get paid more, anything to prey on the ignorance of the customer, just like an auto mechanic.

The bottom line is that a company can always charge more for a completely custom job as oppose to selling a premade module... but I guess that's too difficult of a thing to admit or something.

And, that was really the only point I was trying to make.

Edited by JWL - 17-September-2009 at 11:07am
Greg Dinger View Drop Down
Certified ProductCart Developers
Certified ProductCart Developers

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2009 at 2:30am
Dude - you are killing me, and everyone else.  Particularly those of us who know the background of this and what got you going.

You want a yes or no, so here's my answer.  Yes, it is entirely appropriate - and common - that you will be charged for a module despite the fact that someone else may have already been charged.  In your case, it would probably be appropriate to charge twice the fee just to put up with the grief!

So let me ask you this.  Do you resent the fact that someone invented Cheerios and sells box after box?  Should the cost of your computers be reduced because you profited on them already?

Is it a problem that I have created a series of enhancements for PC and sell them to whoever might be able to use them? Does it matter to you that I am absolutely "in the black" on some of them, and at least one that I will be fortunate to ever break even due to the massive and unanticipated development costs? 

You were provided a piece of software that was the solution you requested.  He even got to the point that he was sick of fighting with you so he gave it to you for free.  Why don't you just let this go?

You are really out of line.  Build your own stuff man- nobody will want to work for you after this tirade.

Let it go.  Get on with your life.  We are not all snakes and I resent the assertion that a class of skilled service providers are not to be trusted.
JWL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2009 at 2:39am
Reread my last post... yea, I agree developers are skilled and they may also be very amiable... but politicians are amiable, so that doesn't count for much.

A developer will get the job done, that's not the point - the point is principle and ethics.  It's about being honest... even when you have the opportunity to get away with being dishonest - but, I guess - people don't really understand what that means.

Also, if a company develops a single computer for a client from scratch, than yes - the price for that job could cost hundreds of thousands if not millions, but if that same computer is in mass production and resold to everyone, than the price would only be a few thousand for the same computer.

So, are you saying that if a computer company went around charging every customer a development price instead of a retail price, that you wouldn't have a problem with that?  Because, that is what a developer is doing by charging multiple customers a development price for code that has already been developed.

Edited by JWL - 17-September-2009 at 3:19am
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2009 at 3:21am
Originally posted by JWL JWL wrote:

Read my last post... yea, I agree developers are skilled and they may also be very amiable... but politicians are amiable, so that doesn't count for much.

A developer will get the job done, that's not the point - the point is principle and ethics.  It's about being honest... but, I guess - people don't really understand what that means.

Also, if you develop a single computer for a client from scratch, than yes - the price for that job could cost hundreds of thousands if not millions, but if that same notebook is in mass production and resold to everyone, than the price would only be a few thousand for the same notebook.

Please stop with the stereotyping and straw man arguments.

We get it: you think a developer is nothing but a bunch of binary which can be handled like pressing DVD's or something. That may or may not be the case in various situations, but I do not see it as the point.

The point is that "code is poetry" to borrow from the WordPress folks. It's up to the creator of the code to decide how she/he wants to distribute it.

Trust me, these decisions are not easy. Every day we weigh whether a need should be handled as a customization or maybe something we build as an add-on and decide to license that way.

Going back to Greg's comment, in the grand scheme of things, we're often lucky if we break better than even when we decide to license an add-on rather than develop as a customization. And frankly some customizations require so much understanding of the base application that they are simply not viable to release as so many "resealable products".

Getting back to your request for a completely unnuanced response: "Yes", it is most likely completely appropriate and ethical for your developer to have charged you for their experience and knowledge in so much as it met your need.

And "No", it's probably not appropriate for you to be airing your laundry here or even taking up a subject like this here IHMO. I'd recommend that you take your case up on a broader forum such as http://forums.digitalpoint.com/
JWL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2009 at 3:39am
No one is airing dirty laundry - this is a general topic, as no companies have been mentioned.  Also, maybe I would feel a little better if a developer could give me an example of something that they would consider unethical - because the thing that unnerves me the most - is that it sounds like anything can be rationalized as being ethical.

I would honestly like to know what a developer considers unethical behavior, besides stealing someone's code or something of that nature. I'm talking about unethical action between the developer and client.

For example, if a developer says a custom job took 5 hours when it only took 2 hours (no code was reused, everything was new code) is that ethical behavior - because, the developer lost money on another project, so they are justified in making up for it on this project... or maybe - the developer just arbitrarily decided to charge more, depending on what he wanted to make for the job - and that's justified because developers don't have to abide by or honor their own pricing model.

They can advertise a low per hour rate, say $80hr - but then charge as much as they want to by simply breaking down the total to that per hour rate, even though they are charging the customer for time that wasn't even spent on the project.

And, this is rationalized, by saying any charge over the actual amount of time it takes to complete the work is a hidden "expertise" fee.  This so-called expertise fee, should already be factored into your per hour pricing, because it's part of your service... if your expertise isn't included in the per hour rate, than what is?!  Without the expertise, you couldn't even do any work - which means the per hour rate is worth nothing.

So, if the above event were to take place - you have a case of false advertising - because the developer is saying their time costs $80hr.  But, in actuality - on this project their time cost $200hr - because the customer was charged $400 for 2 hours of time.  And, this is perfectly acceptable and ethical behavior?  Note: This 5 hour charge is separate from any other billable fees associated with the project, such as consulation etc.

"The engineer then sends the factory a bill for $1000.00.  The factory protests: "All you did is wack it with a hammer!" The engineer then explains that it was only $1.00 for the hammer wack, but $999.00 to know where to wack it."

You are lacking proper context.  What if the engineer told the factory that he charges $100 per hour for his services... and, it only took him an hour to fix the problem, but then sent a bill for $1000.  That means he advertised $100 an hour, but actually charged $1000 per hour.

Edited by JWL - 17-September-2009 at 10:21am
JWL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2009 at 4:10am
"Yes, it is entirely appropriate - and common - that you will be charged for a module despite the fact that someone else may have already been charged."

Hold on - do you think I'm saying that someone shouldn't pay for a module just because it's been sold before?  Huh?  That's not it at all.  I'm talking about the pricing of the code, and the ethics about calling it custom code as oppose to an already developed module - because that is what determines the price.

Edited by JWL - 17-September-2009 at 5:00am
JWL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2009 at 4:33am
And, I would just like to clarify my position because apparently there is a lot of confusion.  I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with reusing code.  I am NOT saying that there is anything wrong with charging a certain fee for reused code.

The point I am making is a matter of ethics.  Now, let's say you were to reuse an identical copy/pasted code from a previous project on a new project.  And, this new client asked you if this code had been used on another website, and you said, "No, it is new code."  Would you have any issue with telling that lie?

According to what some have said, a developer can charge any price they want to, so what would be the benefit in lying to your customer and telling them it was new code as opposed to copy/pasted code?

There is no point in lying unless there is something to benefit or gain, so if a developer did lie about this... what would be their reasoning, since according to others in this thread - a developer can basically charge whatever they want regardless if the code is new or reused.

I think this is a much clearer description of the point I am trying to make, so I would appreciate some honest replies in regards to this situation, because I am honestly confounded as to the rationalization behind this type of behavior.

When someone tells me a bald face lie, I feel deeply disrespected, insulted and exploited.  So, my question is... what would be the motivation for saying code is new when it's actually copy/pasted code?  There must be something to gain, otherwise - there is no need for the lie.

And, one last thing - this has nothing to do with being perfect.  Everyone makes mistakes - but, it's one thing to make an honest mistake - and it's another thing to consciously and knowingly lie to a customer in order to achieve some sort of gain.

Edited by JWL - 17-September-2009 at 8:59am
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 12:50am

Just for the record, for the benefit of the honest ProductCart users who may stumble upon this rant by JWL here -- the developer JWL appaears to be trying to slander here is NOT any of the developers who have responded to this thread. In fact, this developer has a totally SOLID reputation with the rest of the community.

JWL View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 2:43am
Is it not possible to have an open discussion about the ethics involved in the developer profession without it being turned into some sort of fake drama?  I really want to know what developers consider unethical behavior.

Please, don't read into something that's not there... because it seems like that's what you're doing for some reason.

Also, if I do conduct business with a developer or e-tailer or anyone for that matter, and I want the public to know about my experience than I will write a review, but that's not what this thread is about.

This is a general topic, directed at all developers.  Do you not want to discuss the ethics involved in your line of work?  All I am doing is asking questions, if someone asked questions like this in regard to my profession, I would not hesitate for a second to give them a straight and honest answer.

Edited by JWL - 18-September-2009 at 4:21am
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2009 at 3:28am
Matt,

Just give it up, man. You're just making yourself look poorly here.

If you are honestly interested in what developers may think about your "ethics" question, then you should take that up on a more general forum as I have suggested. Try http://forums.digitalpoint.com/ -- thousands of great folks there from all over the globe. I doubt you'll get a different response than what you found here, though.

Stop poisoning the well, man! There is a great community of merchants, programmers, designers, project managers, etc. here. You are steadily making yourself rather an outcast.

PS: You've caused such a ruckus that there is a lot of buzz about you now behind the scenes. You can pretty much rest assured that none of us will ever touch you with a ten foot pole. So you better start leaning to program; Good luck on that.

PPS: Having learned more about your grievance, I really understand more what Greg posted last night before I had the "inside scoop" on you. You are really out of bounds complaining like this over something you ultimately got for free. You should honestly be ashamed.

PPPS: Just STOP IT with this nonsense. Seriously, man. You're just making yourself look bad here.

PPPS: You'll probaly think I'm just taking sides. I'm not. I'm just seeing someone make a big fool of themselves here -- that'd be you. Quit before you completely incinerate any chance of anyone sensible in this community working with you ever again.

Frankly, I'd suggest that you humble up and apologize before everyone here in hopes that some one will take pity on you in the future.

Edited by Sean@WMS - 18-September-2009 at 3:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic